Day 018 - Buxton to Nags Head - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2023

Day 018 - Buxton to Nags Head

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a pleasant ride up Hatteras Island today although it was very cool.  We have been surprised at how cool it has been so far this year.  Both of us wish we had brought warmer clothes, especially since we have the car and are not restricted to what we can pack in panniers. 

Sand dunes north of Buxton
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of Pamlico Sound.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This young lad from Nova Scotia was getting ready to try his luck at wind surfing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just north of Avon the dunes are covered with shrubs and small trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dollar General in Waves. It was here that we got our 'bump' to Manteo last year due the nor'easter that pounded the Outer Banks for 5 days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Meet Jade, from 'Bike the US for MS', a fundraising ride that is cycling Adventure Cycling's Atlantic Coast Route from St. Augustine, FL to Maine. Jade was one of the organizers of the group and had sweeper duty today. I would meet a couple of the participants later on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A portion of NC12 between Waves and Nags Head has been elevated above the ground.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two of the "Bike the US for MS" event riders. We met at the Pea Island Visitors Center.
Heart 1 Comment 0
NC12 on Pea Island
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the few spots along this section that had vegetation on the ocean side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was basically the scenery for several miles on Pea Island. All I could see was asphalt and sand.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Oregon Inlet Lifesaving Station. I had planned to visit it, but it no longer accessible by road and is now abandoned.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Marc Basnight Bridge spans Oregon Inlet. It replaced the Bonner Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These structures were at the entrance to the Bodie Island Lighthouse. I forgot to ask the Park Rangers what they were, and could find no information about them online. If anybody knows, please tell me.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Bodie Island Lighthouse. I did not climb it this year, but you can see views from the top in our 2019 journal.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a Hot Rod show in the parking lot today.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Blowers were very popular with this group and there was not a Tesla in sight!
Heart 0 Comment 0
I do not have nearly the horsepower of these cars, but I am much quieter!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Speedbumps could be a problem here, but it was a very well-done truck. The hinges on the doors had been reversed so that they opened suicide style.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThat is amazingly beautiful!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerSomeone has put a lot of time and money into this. It is impressive.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

After visiting the lighthouse, it was a short ride to our motel.  I'm glad the ride was short because I had a headwind today, and the wind was picking up, with 20+ MPH forecast for later in the afternoon.

Tomorrow is a rest day, and we plan to visit Manteo and see the sights that we missed last year. 

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 941 miles (1,514 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Keith A. SpanglerEnjoy the rest!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Keith A. Spangler
The weather is clearing up here, so you should have a great week coming up! We'll be in Ocean City, NJ, Sunday thru Thursday.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerHave fun at the beach. I hope it's warmer than it has been here!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago