Day 017 - Cedar Island to Buxton - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2023

Day 017 - Cedar Island to Buxton

Heart 1 Comment 2
Kathleen NewellIt was great meeting you two on the ferry crossing. We are looking forward to your travels and we wish you a safe journey!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen NewellIt was nice meeting you as well. Thanks for the good wishes.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

We set the alarm for 5:30 this morning so we could be at the ferry terminal at 7 to catch the 7:30 ferry.  As our motel was right next to the ferry landing, we made it in plenty of time.  The beginning of the ferry ride was somewhat choppy due to the winds, but it soon smoothed out and was an enjoyable, but chilly, ride.

Seagulls following the ferry. At first there were not many following the ferry, but as soon as I began tossing out pretzel pieces, many more magically appeared.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had a very nice time chatting with this couple from MA, but unfortunately, we forgot their names.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Approaching the Ocracoke ferry landing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ocracoke from the ferry landing.
Heart 1 Comment 0

You can't always trust what your wife says...   

We reached Ocracoke on schedule at 9:45 and stopped at a convenience store to get some juice and a muffin, as neither of us had felt like eating earlier.  When we were done eating it was a little after 10AM, and Jeanna said she was just going to drive on up to the north end of the island and wait for me at the Hatteras ferry landing.  She told me to take my time, and that we'd catch the noon ferry to Hatteras.  I started out and caught another nice tailwind.  I looked at the time and saw that it was 10:10 and that I had a little over 12 miles to go to the ferry landing.  At that time I began wondering if I could make it by 11.  I picked up the pace and soon was rolling along in the low 20's.  Just as I reached the landing at 10:50, Jeanna called and asked where I was, and I told her I was there. She then told me that she had read the schedule wrong, and that the ferries departed on the HALF HOUR.  I did have a very pleasant 40-minute wait for the ferry, however. :-) 

NC12 just outside Ocracoke Village. Back in the 80's I would jog from the village to the north end of the island, wait for the ferry to come in, and then hitch a ride back.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ocracoke has a small maritime forest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dunes north of the forest
Heart 1 Comment 0
Further north on NC12. This section of the road is frequently closed due sand covering the road during storms.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Racing to catch the ferry: 10:46 AM and 1.56 miles to go. Speed 22.8 MPH, heart rate 123. I love data!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wildflower of the day. These were very prominent at the north end of the island.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltIndian blanket (firewheel)

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/51768/browse_photos
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

Information signs at the landing.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Small tugs at the ferry landing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Waiting for the ferry to Hatteras.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Ocracoke-Hatteras ferries are much smaller than the Ocracoke-Cedar Island ferries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ferry was PACKED!
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was a tight fit (the cars, not Jeanna).
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerHi Keith.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Wind surfing north of Hatteras Village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Getting ready to go out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hatteras Island has the same problem with shifting sand as Ocracoke Island does.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch in Hatteras, and then Jeanna drove on to the motel, while I visited the Native American Museum in Frisco.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were multiple cases showing Tribal Police Badges
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Examples of bead work. We visited a museum in Canada last year where bead artists were making items similar to these.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow, we go to Nags Head.

Today's ride: 63 miles (101 km)
Total: 890 miles (1,432 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob DistelbergI love the Outer Banks, although I'm more familiar with the northern half. Would love to get back down there some day.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob DistelbergWe came here often when we lived in North Carolina. It is a great place to visit.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago