Day 013 - Rest Day - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2023

Day 013 - Rest Day

We had a very lazy morning today and it wasn't until 2PM that we left the room.  Our first stop was the Wilmington Railroad Museum, which is right next door from our hotel.  Besides telling the story of railroading in Wilmington in general, and of the Atlantic Coast Railroad in particular, it had a great model railroad layout.   

Zoom in to read the museum's history.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Wilmington and Weldon Railroad morphed into the Atlantic Coast Line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Display of typical railroad station office.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This exhibit explained the evolution of rails with a chart showing the weight per yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And here are the rails for the chart above.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Wilmington Model Railroad Club holds the Guinness World Record for the longest model train - over 925 feet long. There was an interesting video of the event.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Their permanent display is not too shabby either.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Realistic model of a building on fire.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This foot pedal let you start the trains. I couldn't stay away from it!
Heart 1 Comment 0
They had a camera in one of the trains that had a live feed to this monitor. I couldn't get my face in the camera, but that is my arm on the monitor :-)
Heart 0 Comment 0
I did manage to get Jeanna in on the action. It's not a good photo but it was very difficult to look at the monitor as well as focus the camera at the same time. Jeanna was very patient, as the train made 3 or 4 loops before I could get this photo.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Jeanna here:

We walked through downtown Wilmington after leaving the train museum.  Therre were many cafes and restaurants.  Kerry was being particularly particular, and nothing seemed to suit him.  I finally spotted a New York pizza place, which sounded good to him, so we went there.  It had just a takeout window, but there were plenty of tables and chairs outside.  Right next door was the Fun Bowl Ramen and Poke restaurant.  It looked really good, so I ordered a shrimp poke bowl while Kerry was getting his pizza.  It was so good!!  I shared some with Kerry after he finished his pizza, and he thought it was delicious too.  We decided that just one meal from there wouldn't do, so we ordered a large tuna poke bowl to take back to our room for dinner.  

Beautiful weather and outside dining with wonderful food - it doesn't get much better.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The woman who was waiting on us was very gracious and helpful.  We asked if she were the owner and learned that she was co-owner with her business partner, Johnny.  Johnny was excited about Kerry's bike trip.  His son had cycled cross-country last year.  

Johnny and Vivian. If you are ever in Wilmington, NC, do not miss the Fun Bowl Ramen and Poke on Front Street.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our room faces the Cape Fear River. The USS North Carolina battleship is anchored nearby. We have toured it several times, so didn't do that today. There were a lot of boats cruising up and down the river, but Kerry didn't take any pictures of them.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm not even pedaling, but I have enjoyed having a day off.  Back on the road tomorrow...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0