Day 010 - Georgetown to Conway - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2023

Day 010 - Georgetown to Conway

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was the shortest day of the trip so far - less than 39 miles.  That doesn't mean it was the easiest, however.  US-701 is not a road I would recommend.  Traffic was heavy and there were many semi's (mostly log trucks).   At first, I didn't think it would be too bad, as the road had recently been repaved and there was a decent shoulder. At mile 15 however, the shoulder disappeared, the pavement became rough, and it became a very tense ride for me - I was very glad when the ride was over. 

Typical scenery for the day. This was taken early in the ride when the road had at least a narrow shoulder.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some wildflowers for the day. This was taken at the same location as the above photo.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltRed flowers are crimson clover.

http://www.southeasternflora.com/view_flora.php?plantid=131


White flowers are white clover.

http://www.namethatplant.net/plantdetail.shtml?plant=1540

Big plant with yellow flowers is butterweed.

http://www.southeasternflora.com/view_flora.php?plantid=303

Tiny yellow flowerheads are black medick.

http://www.namethatplant.net/plantdetail.shtml?plant=922

Tiny 5-petal yellow flower right of center is common yellow wood sorrel.

http://www.namethatplant.net/plantdetail.shtml?plant=1007
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
A close-up of the red wildflowers that was prevalent along the road today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The saving grace today, however, was that there were two attractions to see. The first was the Waccamaw National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center.  

The back of the visitor's center had a nice porch with rocking chairs and a great view of the Greater Pee Dee River
Heart 3 Comment 0
View from the porch.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a trail that led down to a dock on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View along the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two lizards having fun. I wish I could say that I blurred the action on purpose. :-)
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltGreen anoles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anolis_carolinensis
Reply to this comment
11 months ago

The second attraction was the Horry County Museum.  The museum is located in the old 1905 Burroughs School, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Stairway leading the 2nd floor exhibits.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There were several large fish in the aquarium.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The aquarium was featured on Animal Planet's "Tanked"
Heart 1 Comment 0

The next three photos show the history of Horry County.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Each former classroom in the building had a different theme.  Not many were specifically related to Horry County, but they were still interesting.  

A sampling follows.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Native American home built using wattle and daub technique.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One room was dedicated to Myrtle Beach. I found the history of the Beach Jacket interesting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Segregation on the beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wildlife native to the area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow we enter North Carolina.

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 562 miles (904 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Keith A. SpanglerHi Jeanna! Hope the support role is going good, watch out for those bikers!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Bob & Jan ThompsonHope you guys enjoyed Conway, S.C. This is Jan's home town, high school where she was a cheerleader. Go Tigers!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob & Jan ThompsonAs you saw, we visited the Horry County Museum, housed in a beautiful old school building. On the way, we walked through an area of very nice old homes. We have stayed in Conway before, but never visited downtown. We did enjoy it. My biggest early memory of Conway is driving through it on the way to the beach from Charlotte in the 60's. Conway was where the traffic started backing up on summer weekends!
Jeanna
Reply to this comment
11 months ago