Day 001 - Crystal River to Gainesville - Two Far 2023 - Oranges to Apples - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2023

Day 001 - Crystal River to Gainesville

Heart 0 Comment 0

We're underway!  Today started out as usual for when we're leaving for an extended time, which means shutting down the house:

Turn off ceiling fans - CHECK.

Unplug the refrigerator - CHECK.

Lock all the doors - CHECK.

You get the idea.   

Unlike in years past, we did not forget anything that we had to call our neighbor to fix.  I thought that we were making a perfect exit until I got on the bike and realized I had forgotten my bike gloves.  We don't carry a house key with us when we travel, so I had to walk around to the back of the house and retrieve our hidden key, but soon we were on our way.  We even managed to leave before our planned 9AM departure time - that doesn't happen very often for us.

Today's ride was pretty uneventful and there's not much to see or say.  It's also very familiar to us as, we generally ride the first part of today's route several times a week.

Our first stop was at the Cross Florida Barge Canal which is 14 miles from home.  I stopped to take a photo, and Jeanna entered the park and took a short hike on the trail that follows alongside the canal.

Cross Florida Barge Canal. The idea was conceived as early as 1567, but construction did not start until 1935 and then again in 1963. The project was officially cancelled in 1971 and the lock gates were welded closed in the early 2000's. The path of the canal has been turned into a greenway with plans for a cross FL biking / hiking trail, but I doubt if we'll see it in our lifetime.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jeanna & Lisa. Just a mile up the road from the canal is Inglis and our favorite Subway. We generally ride our bike there several times a week, and as soon as the Lisa sees us rolling up, she starts to make our sandwiches.
Heart 2 Comment 0
US-19 just north of Inglis. Flat, straight, wide shoulders and little traffic. Cycling bliss!
Heart 2 Comment 2
Rose SamsonA nice day to start your day to TOO FAR 2023!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Rose SamsonA nice day to start your day to TOO FAR 2023!
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Don't know what they are, but they were pretty.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like garden Phlox

https://www.everwilde.com/store/Phlox-drummondii-mixed-WildFlower-Seed.html
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A variety of wildflowers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A peanut field. The main crop in the Williston area is peanuts.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of how peanuts are planted.
Heart 2 Comment 0
SR121. Another favorite road of mine with great shoulders and low traffic. Check the sky - the weather was perfect for a bike ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I rolled into the motel around 3PM, and Jeanna had already checked us in and had everything unpacked.  I think I'm going to like this arrangement!

Today's ride: 65 miles (105 km)
Total: 65 miles (105 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 5
Kelly IniguezThere's nothing like an uneventful first day as a confidence booster. Does your daily mileage vary, depending if you are riding the single bike or the tandem?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith A. SpanglerHappy Trails my Friends!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerThanks, Keith. It always feels so good to finally get underway!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kelly IniguezWhen we travel on the tandem, we average about 45 miles a day. On the Phoenix, I expect to average closer to 60. (Jeanna here - he can easily ride more miles because he has someone to load all the gear and check out of the hotel in the morning and then check in, unload and have his cold drink and snack waiting for him at the end of the ride!)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezTo Jeanna & Kerry SmithAh, yes - there is nothing better than being handed a cold beverage as you walk in the door! Be sure and show your appreciation for good service.

What is the favorite after the ride snack? AD Carson stayed with me a week in Tucson this winter. His favorite after ride snack is a very particular brand of chocolate (sorry can't remember), and a soda pop! Jacinto likes pistachios, either with a beer or a soda. I can't say I have a favorite after the bike snack, but probably go more for salty things than sweet. I definitely like a V-8 juice if I stop at a convenience store during the day.

Have a good ride today!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago