Day 96 - Montague to Orwell Village Loop - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 14, 2022

Day 96 - Montague to Orwell Village Loop

Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a ride today out to the Orwell Corner Historic Village.  It was a small community which remained active until the 1960's and now has been maintained as a historical site as it would have been in 1895.

On the way, Kerry decided we should take the "scenic route" along the Montague River, which was a pretty ride, but had two miles of gravel road.

Montague River
Heart 0 Comment 0

The gravel surface wasn't too bad, but when we got to this big hill, it was time for four on the floor.  I really didn't want to ride uphill on rocks.  Kerry was fine with walking this part, but we had to ride on most of it.

CaptionCutAdd line aboveAdd line belowDelete
Heart 1 Comment 0

Fortunately, the unpaved surfaces totaled only about three miles today.  Most of the roads were more like this.

I love pavement!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Different varieties of potatoes have different colored flowers.  We saw a lot of purple flowering potato plants today.

Heart 0 Comment 0
These flowers are pink.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We did a fair amount of climbing on the way to Orwell.

Up high on PEI
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Orwell Village, we visited a few buildings.

The General Store
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is the kitchen stove in the house which houses the store.

Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is beautiful
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The one room schoolhouse built in 1895 and used until 1966.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Outside was the community well - apparently now dry.   Several people  tried pumping it without any success.

Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSome needed to have a bit of water poured down to prime the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmZYQ5I0CDU
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

In the barn, these pigs were sound asleep.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And, nearby in the small animal barn, we met this goat who had given birth to three kids yesterday.  There were two male and one female kids.  The young employee in the barn told us that she would nurse the female, but not the two males.

Heart 0 Comment 0

When the little guys approached, she head butted them away.  He said the staff was putting her on a milking stand to let them nurse.

I looked it up.  (There is a surprising amount of information about goat raising online.)  It doesn't seem to be an uncommon problem.

Back off, boys!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Inside the agriculture museum, we saw an interesting exhibit about "mussel mud".  When the water was frozen over in the winter, farmers went out and dug up shells buried in the mud.  They mussel mud was taken to the fields to be spread in the spring.  It improved the soil by adding lime.

Heart 0 Comment 0
An old photograph of the operation
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is one of the forks with the long beam sunk to the bottom to dig out the mud.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I read this information about the decline of farming on PEI.  Since it refers to the period from 1901 and 2001, I wondered how much more decline there had been in the last 20 years.  I found that in 2020, the number of farms was down to 1353, covering 42.5% of the land.  Less than 3% of the population are farmers now and most of those are over 55 years old.  It makes me wonder what way of life future generations will bemoan the loss of in another hundred years.  

Heart 0 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltRegarding decline in farming... That makes depressions so much worse because there is no work and no way to get food. On a farm, it was a matter of plant and harvest. Might not have any nice stuff, but nobody starves.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltWe have certainly reached the place where most of us can only provide for our food, clothing and shelter with money. No money means no survival even if the raw materials are available.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

On the way back to Montague, we saw a couple of large fields of cabbage. These cabbages were much more mature than the cabbages we saw in New Jersey in May.  In one field, we saw several people scattered about and we wondered if they were checking to see if the field was ready for harvest.

A whole lotta coleslaw!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 3,062 miles (4,928 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0