Day 92 - Pictou to Murray Harbour - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2022

Day 92 - Pictou to Murray Harbour

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was a short, easy five miles to the ferry landing at Caribou, NS.  There is no fare for a walk-on ferry ride to PEI.  As is the case with crossing the Confederation Bridge, travelers only pay to leave the island.   

The Caribou ferry landing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Boats in the harbour at the ferry landing
Heart 0 Comment 0

While we waited for our ferry to arrive, we talked with a few people also waiting to walk on.  There were no other cyclists on this trip.  The crossing is 75 minutes and was smooth and comfortable.

This is the view leaving Nova Scotia.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had breakfast - very good and very reasonably priced - on the ferry and spent most of the trip inside one of the passenger cabins. It was very windy and chilly outside.

This is a picture of the ferry docked at Wood Islands on Prince Edward Island.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Next to the ferry is the Wood Islands lighthouse.  It's a place we haven't visited on our previous trips to PEI.  I did a poor job as photographer and didn't take enough pictures.  I have no picture of the lighthouse, but I did get a few of the view from the top.  It's a short lighthouse, only four stories tall.

View of the ferry terminal from the lighthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0
From the lighthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0
From the lighthouse
Heart 1 Comment 0

From the ferry, we had a 23 mile ride to Murray Harbour.  Most of it was past farms on roads with almost no traffic.  We have been looking forward to getting back to PEI.  It is one of our favorite places to cycle.  The roads are great, the scenery is beautiful, the people are friendly and the food is delicious.

Waterfront farm with Nova Scotia in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Canola - PEI is the first place we saw it several years ago.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barns
Heart 1 Comment 0
Potatoes to the sea
Heart 1 Comment 0

We also stopped at the Cape Bear Lighthouse - and I remembered to take a picture!

It was only three (steep) flights of steps to the top.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are steep cliffs along the shoreline here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking toward Nova Scotia
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view of the cliffs from ground level.
Heart 3 Comment 0

The picture above had a place that looked like a beach.  I zoomed in as much as I could.  The long white/silver line going down the cliff looked like it might be steps.

Beach below the cliffs?
Heart 1 Comment 0

We are in Murray River tonight and will ride to Montague tomorrow.  We'll be there five nights and are looking forward to doing some unloaded loop rides.

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 2,960 miles (4,764 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Keith A. SpanglerMy friends, your trip has been so fun to watch! I didn't make it PEI, so it was nice to see your experience. Happy Trails - Yarmouth Bound✓
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anthony CaldamoneLooks like a smooth a beautiful transition to PEI. Wish I was able to join you. Safe travels.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Anthony CaldamoneWe were looking forward to having you join us. Sorry it didn't work out. Enjoy a bit of vicarious touring on PEI :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago