Day 90 - Pictou - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2022

Day 90 - Pictou

We walked around Pictou today to see the town and check out the Lobster Carnival.

There were some attractive historic buildings.

This Bank of Nova Scotia building was built in 1878. A modern Scotiabank branch is adjacent.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The YMCA building dates from 1879.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Custom House was constructed in 1873. It's now an inn. We stayed here when we visited Pictou on a road trip in 2005.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we first saw the signs for the Pictou Lobster Carnival, we commented that "Carnival" seemed unusual - we would have thought it would be the Pictou Lobster Festival.  We soon realized that the name was exactly correct.

The large carnival was set up just past the downtown area. It was a typical small town carnival.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were a bunch of spinning and tilting rides. We weren't tempted to try any of them.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is more my kind of ride:)
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a short visit to the carnival, we walked back along the waterfront street.  We didn't see much activity related to the Lobster Carnival, but there was a performance stage and beer garden being set up.  Those festivities will probably take place tonight.

We stopped at the Northumberland Fisheries Museum.  There was display of small boat models and a gallery of photographs of the models taken on and near the water.  It was interesting.  You never see models in natural boat surroundings.

I enjoyed seeing the reproduction of a seasonal fisherman's bunkhouse.  These fishermen left their homes to spend the fishing season near their boats.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Cozy
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

There were different lobster traps on display.  I had forgotten that the parts of the trap were called the "kitchen" and the "parlour".  So homey!

The bait is placed in the kitchen on the left and then the lobster swims into the parlour where it is trapped.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a full-size replica of the Ship Hector.  It is being restored with the hope of having it ready to sail in 2023 for the 250th anniversary of the Hector's arrival at Pictou with the first shipload of Scottish emigrants to arrive in Nova Scotia.  

Restoration in progress
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Hector arrived in Pictou in September, 1773.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a rain shower this afternoon after we got back to our room.  I think more rain is expected tonight - probably not good news for the beer gardens patrons - and then clear and sunny tomorrow.  We have a short loop ride planned to see some more of the area.  It's always nice to get to ride unloaded.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0