Day 9 - Kingsland to Brunswick - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 18, 2022

Day 9 - Kingsland to Brunswick

Heart 0 Comment 2
Beth ArtI really appreciate the map being placed at the beginning of your journal entries. I find it provides me a context for the coming text and pictures. Thank you
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Beth ArtThanks, Beth. We appreciate your following our journal.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Last night's rain continued into the early morning, but by the reasonable hour of 10AM, the sky was blue and things were drying out. 

Our original version of today's route followed the ACA Atlantic Coast Route which kept us off of US 17 for much of the way and then took the long way around in Brunswick to avoid a bad bridge on Hwy 303.  At 57.7 miles, it was a longer route than we really like.  Kerry looked at the route again last night and decided that US 17 looked OK, which saved us 1o miles, and that riding another 7 miles to avoid a bad bridge wasn't worth it either, so we ended up with a 42-mile day.  We had no trouble at all on US 17.  The traffic was light and drivers easily went around us where there was no shoulder.  Only two log trucks passed us and they were empty.  The bridge over the East River on 303 was a bit challenging and if we ever do this ride again, we probably will suck it up and ride the extra miles to avoid it.  It is a narrow two lanes with moderate traffic.  After two cars whizzed by too close for comfort, we just took the center and traffic stayed behind us.  It was only a few minutes across and we were fine.  None of the drivers behind us expressed any impatience of or displeasure.  We now understand why ACA routed around this bridge.

US17 just north of Kingsland. New pavement with a skinny (but OK) shoulder.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Before I-95, 17 was the highway.  There were motels, restaurants, gas stations and homes and businesses.  Other than a few old homes, none of those things exist now.  Mother Nature is reclaiming the old structures.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

There was even a very overgrown display of old farm equipment.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The area is used mostly for logging operations now.

Recently harvested pine grove. We'll be spending a lot of time riding through pine forests for the next few days.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These lily pads looked cheerful along the road.
Heart 3 Comment 0

In Woodbine, there was a really nice bike path through town and along the Satilla River.

Woodbine Bike Trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view. The trail is only 1.5 miles long in Woodbine, but is part of the proposed Georgia Coast Rail-Trail which will cover 68 miles between Kingsland to Riceboro.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the bike trail along the riverfront. We rode along this and into town.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of the Satilla River
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonSatilla River must be a really wide long river, as seen in this picture!
Perhaps a lot of fish make it their home!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After the riverfront path, we rode into the town of Woodbine.  

Mural of old Satilla riverfront
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonI see a riverboat in this picture, do they have boat rides along the river?
It has a beautiful scenery!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We stopped for at the local convenience store for what was going to be a quick break, but then Kerry saw the hot bar and we ended up sharing a very good lunch.  The southern style greens were great, as was the homemade biscuit.  While Kerry was talking to Clarence (see below),  I had a nice conversation with one of the cooks who happened to be born at Citrus Memorial in Inverness!  

We met Clarence at the store. He was very personable, and Kerry had a long conversation with him. It was great to meet you, Clarence!!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We also met another touring cyclist today.  Scott is riding the ACA Atlantic Coast from New Bern, NC to Key West.  Earlier today, he met the four cyclists we met yesterday.

Scott
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 328 miles (528 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Ed and Karen EllisonLooks like a fun day and glad are safely out of Fl. Alfie says you better put your snow tires on before you get to Ohio. It is snowing there today. (I’m sure by September everything will be fine, though). Haha!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago