Day 89 - Pugwash to Pictou - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2022

Day 89 - Pugwash to Pictou

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a longer ride today to catch up with our next planned stop after our rain delay yesterday. By going the most direct route, we had only 57 miles to go to reach our scheduled destination for today.  The weather was beautiful - warm and sunny with a tailwind.  It was MUCH better than trying to ride in the rain!

As we came into Pugwash the other day, we saw this plant and large piles of what we thought was either limestone or granite.  It turns out that it is the Windsor Salt Mine.  The mine is the only salt mine in Nova Scotia and they provide road salt for Atlantic Canada.  After doing a little research, we learned that the mine itself is about 1000' below the water shown in the picture. Some locals told us that the Company insists that the mine does not extend under the city, but they are not convinced, because they say they can feel the blasting when it occurs.

We could see the plant from our bedroom window.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a view leaving Pugwash.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We saw different crops growing today.  We think this is wheat or some small grain.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And this is an old granary, now abandoned.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We saw this llama enjoying the sunny day outside the bright red barn.

Heart 2 Comment 0

You don't see many pink barns.  This one appeared to be actually painted pink, not just a badly faded red.

Pink barn
Heart 0 Comment 0

This farm had sheep...

Heart 1 Comment 0

and cows.

Bovine lunch
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our lunch was next.  We stopped at a Subway in Tatamagouche.  Had we known about this town park and picnic area right up the road, we might have brought our sandwiches here.

Tatamagouche park
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonNice park for Sunbathing! Beautiful view too.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Here are some recently shorn alpacas.

Heart 0 Comment 0

At a break after lunch, we met Linda.  She lives in Alberta but has a cabin near here where she spends the summer.  She was very enthusiastic about our trip.

Heart 2 Comment 0

Another picture of asphalt made with Nova Scotia red rock.  I can't find an answer online to the question "What makes Nova Scotia rocks red?"  There is nothing about iron content, which was our first thought.  

Red asphalt makes pretty roads.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonIt is pretty. I remember it from when we were in Nova Scotia decades ago. I did some research on this myself yesterday and couldn’t find anything either. Surprising.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

This gorgeous view is of the Northumberland Strait west of Pictou with Prince Edward Island on the horizon.  This is near the route of the ferry we will take to PEI in three days.

Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles from Pictou is the Seafoam Lavender Farm.  They sell assorted lavender products and annually, for about 10 days in July, allow people to pick lavender at the farm.  It was open for picking today, but we didn't stop.

Seafoam lavender farm
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at our motel before 4:00 PM.  The manager was very helpful about clearing out a space in a storage area two doors away where we could roll the bike right in.  It will be nice to have the bike nearby, but not in our room, for our three-day stay.  The management of this motel, actually a husband-and-wife team, have been great working with us to change dates, change rooms, accommodate the bike and generally just being very helpful, patient and kind dealing with all our requests.  

There is a big local lobster festival in town this weekend.  We'll walk down and check that out tomorrow and see if we can't find something good to eat:)

Today's ride: 57 miles (92 km)
Total: 2,893 miles (4,656 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0