Day 85 - Lower Cape to Shediac - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

July 3, 2022

Day 85 - Lower Cape to Shediac

Heart 0 Comment 0
Morning view across the bay north of Hopewell Rocks
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another view, about an hour later. The tide is going out quickly.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I just love this house.  I'm calling it "The Red Chair House".

Heart 4 Comment 0

In Hillsborough, we stopped at the New Brunswick Railway Museum.  The museum was closed, but the rolling stock outside was open for viewing.

100-ton steam crane and work tender
Heart 2 Comment 0
In all the train museums we've visited, we've never seen a firefighting rail tank before. The tank car to the left was also labeled "water for firefighting only".
Heart 0 Comment 0
A double ended snowplow.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A combination ballast, flanger and snowplow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A CF-101 Voodoo all-weather interceptor. The main armament of the plane was an unguided nuclear air-to-air rocket. We're not sure why a nuclear-capable war plane was at a railroad museum. We also wondered what happened if the rocket missed. Nothing like having a nuclear rocket drop in your backyard!!
Heart 3 Comment 0
A farm along the bay near Moncton
Heart 0 Comment 0
Newly baled hay. I can smell the aroma from looking at the picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Moncton, we took a cycleway through the city.  

There is a protected bike/pedestrian lane across the Petitcodiac River. The river is known locally as the Chocolate River due to it's brown muddy bottom and water.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Rose SamsonIf all the rivers have a protective fence like this, it makes it a safer place!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonWe like to have a protected safe route across bridges. This one was good.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Some sections of the trail were crushed stone, but most of it was paved.  It was a safe, easy way to get through Moncton.

Moncton Riverfront Trail
Heart 2 Comment 0
The trail followed the Petitcodiac River.
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rose SamsonThat red building at the left side, is that a house or a restaurant. It is an eye catcher!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonIt is a hotel.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It was twenty miles from Moncton to Shediac.  We were hoping to beat the rain that was expected around 2:00.  When we got to town about 1:45, the sky didn't look bad, so we stopped for lunch before we checked in at our motel.  It worked out great.  We had a good lunch, checked in and the rain started just a few minutes later.  We are at a basic, but comfortable motel tonight and are very happy to have excellent internet service after several days of struggling to keep a connection.  Good food, no rain and fast internet make us happy cyclists tonight!

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 2,767 miles (4,453 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonMoncton and Shediac! We biked through here on our first anniversary tour. I can still picture the terns diving into the bay at Shediac.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago