Day 82 - Alma - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 30, 2022

Day 82 - Alma

The plan for today was laundry and a walk to the Bay of Fundy National Park Visitor Center and around the nearby area.

We (I) got the laundry done and we started out for our short walk about 11:30. Rain and thunderstorms were expected around 2:00, so we didn't have any big plans.

The entrance to the Bay of Fundy National Park is less than a mile from our hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got to the park entrance and started to walk across the grass to the water.  We were immediately swarmed by voracious biting insects.  This walk was over!  We turned around and walked as quickly as we could back to the hotel.

This is a view of Fundy on the way back to our hotel. That's the end of today's outdoor photos!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rain came in in the middle of the afternoon but wasn't heavy, and the thunderstorms forecast never materialized.  By 5:00, the sun was out again.  But it is very cool here and the rain lowered the temperature considerably.  Walking will be much more fun tomorrow when we are sprayed with insect repellent and the temperature is over 70.

I tried to capture tidal change photos from our room.  The Bay of Fundy has the world's highest tides, with a tidal change of as much as 50 feet.  The picture below is from around 7:00 last night.  

Low tide and the fleet is out.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I said I wasn't going to wait up for high tide, but I was up after all.  At 1:00 AM, several boats came in "with the tide" as they say here.   There were lights, people, trucks and generally a busy time on the wharf.  I sat and watched out the window for a bit before I went back to sleep.

This is the same view this morning. It was about mid-tide, and the boats there now are the ones which returned overnight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the view at high tide.
Heart 1 Comment 0

As I am writing this, low tide is approaching.  This is what it looks like now with the boats that came in last night.

Although you can't see it in this photo, all the boats have cradles underneath to support them and to keep them from tipping over as they rest on the bottom.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Kerry here... Here is a view of the cradles. Actually, they are metal crates that are lowered overboard. One of the deckhands told me they are designed so they tilt inward under the boat when they rest on the bottom. I also learned that each boat in the fleet has its own assigned docking space
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0