Day 79 - Saint John to Sussex - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 27, 2022

Day 79 - Saint John to Sussex

Heart 1 Comment 0

What an excellent touring day we had.  The rain expected this afternoon held off until well after we were in our hotel.  The strong winds which preceded the rain were at our back the whole way.  The hills provided exercise without being painful.  And, best of all, we had memorable encounters with some terrific people.

We got on the road about 8:30 to give plenty of time to get to Sussex before 4:00.  It was a little cool, but we had enough climbing to warm us up quickly.  Our route followed the Kennebecasis River from Saint John to Sussex.  The first half of the way, we went through a few small towns and the second half was mostly rural with some farming.

The Kennebecasis RIver
Heart 2 Comment 0

The first town we went through was Rothebay.  It seemed like it might be an upscale suburb of Saint John.

Boats in the river at Rothesay
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scenic view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Railroad trestle across the river
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Hampton, we crossed the river on this cool old bridge.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0

Once we passed the towns, we started seeing some farming.

This is the first herd of cattle we've seen recently
Heart 2 Comment 0
And this is their home - it was very fragrant as we pedaled past.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another farm - we didn't see any more livestock after the cows above.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another scenic view of the river
Heart 3 Comment 0
and the countryside
Heart 0 Comment 0
and a barn.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Last barn photo of the day.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The best part of today was our visit to Hall Bros in the little community of Norton.  We were ready to find a restroom (or washroom, as they say in Canada) and stopped at the only store, only to find it closed.  We had seen the Hall Bros Kubota dealership coming into town, so we turned around and went back there.

We had just parked the bike, when this man walked out of the store.  He wanted to take our picture because, he said, his wife would never believe him.  He and his wife had talked to us in Ogunquit, Maine on June 13.  They were walking on the sidewalk and while we were stopped in traffic, we chatted with them briefly.  It was pretty amazing to see him two weeks later in Norton, NB!

Good to see you again, Kevin!
Heart 4 Comment 0

I'm calling this picture "The Stokers Meeting"

Tanya, Jeanna, Judy & Kate. The three women all got a short ride on the tandem with Kerry (Jeanna is taking a much longer one). A good time was had by all.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This is Judy, one of the owners of the business. She took the first ride.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Judy Rolling.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Next, Kate, one of the staff, took her turn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And here is Kate rolling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Finally, co-worker Tanya couldn't miss out on the fun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And there Tanya goes!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry noticed this interesting structure but couldn't think what it might be.

Heart 0 Comment 2
Beth ArtIt's a screen for the gravel (stones) sorts it, so no big ones go onto the truck.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Beth ArtThanks, Beth. That's what we thought it must be.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

It was located in front of this NB highway department building and next to the big pile of sand.  I didn't get a clear enough picture of it, but one of the white signs inside said something about loading trucks.

Maybe the truck pulls in and whatever is loaded goes through the grate on the top?
Heart 0 Comment 4
Bob & Jan ThompsonWould appear that a dump truck is located under the steel structure. A front end loaded picks up a bucket of sand from the large pile and rides up the earthen ramp and dumps the sand onto the grate. The grate will disallow any large stones to drop into the bed of the truck. Probably used during the winter to sand the roads.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bob & Jan ThompsonThat's what we figured.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesYou ever hear of that social media account @FacesInThings? This white shed might qualify. Looks kinda friendly.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kathleen JonesI've never heard of that site, but now that you point it out, I see the face. It does look friendly. Thanks for the info. I'll check out the site.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Near the end of the route, we crossed back over the river on this bridge.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Sussex, had lunch, did a little Walmart shopping and then checked into the hotel.  Sometime later, the front desk called and said that someone was here with a basket for us.  It was Tanya with a basket of treats and a note from three of them thanking us for "brightening their Monday".   It was kind, thoughtful and delicious!  Thank you, Tanya, Kate and Judy.

Kerry here...

Among other items, there were biscuits, fresh (made yesterday) strawberry jam, and Diet Coke. How can life get any better??!!
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today both Jeanna & I noticed that the flora is changing as we get farther north.  There seemed to be fewer flowers today than we have seen in New England.  That's not to say there weren't any, but they are just not as abundant.  There were several stretches of road today that had lush grasses, but no wildflowers. Also, the lupines that were so abundant in Maine are thinning out and the flower below seems to be the predominate wildflower in this area.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 2,652 miles (4,268 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0