Day 78 - Pocologan to Saint John - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 26, 2022

Day 78 - Pocologan to Saint John

Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode to Saint John today, much of the way on NB 1.  It's a divided, controlled access highway and I'm not sure if bicycles are technically allowed, but it is far shorter than any other alternative.  There was not much traffic on this Sunday and it was really a pleasant ride.  Kerry said it was like riding out in the country, but on a very good road.

Lepreau River
Heart 3 Comment 1

This is the Musquash Estuary.  The Musquash River makes a big "U" here.

Musquash River Estuary
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another view
Heart 1 Comment 0
We decided these were old railroad trestle pilings.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we got nearer to Saint John, we had this gorgeous view of the Bay of Fundy.

Heart 2 Comment 3
Mike AylingAFAICR the Bay has the highest tide range in the world.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kathleen JonesTo Mike AylingWe rode that tidal bore once - quite a wave that comes at you in your little inflatable Zodiac.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Mike AylingYes, it does. Somehow, we missed putting that fact in the journal. The tidal change can be as high as 50 feet.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

And this is the Saint John River which enters the Bay at Saint John

Heart 0 Comment 0

We came into Saint John from the southwest, above the city.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We went through some attractive residential areas.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Then, we went to the Fort Howe National Historic Site.  It rises very high above the city.  There is no information at the site, but there was a small building (fort?) and this old cannon.

Cannon guarding the city at the mouth of the Saint John River
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another view from the top
Heart 0 Comment 0

We made our way down and onto the city streets.  I'm glad it was Sunday.  It would have been a pain trying to maneuver through weekday traffic.  There were several turns on twisty, hilly roads.  We arrived at our hotel and were greeted by towel art in our room.  We almost never see this in a hotel.  I'm sure it must encourage tipping the maids.

Swan on the bed
Heart 1 Comment 0
Flower on the whirlpool. This one was decorated with Lindor truffles - that really made us smile!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Curt & Helene ReedI would tip for that. My favorite Swiss chocolate
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 2,608 miles (4,197 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0