Day 77 - Lubec to Pocologan - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2022

Day 77 - Lubec to Pocologan

Heart 0 Comment 0

We entered Canada today and will visit five provinces before we cross into Michigan in September.

We went back across the FDR Bridge. Entering Canada was as quick and friendly as it was yesterday. There was no wait at all.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We passed this church on the way to the ferry.  It was in the film we saw at the Roosevelt site yesterday.  St. Anne's Church was founded in 1899 and attended by the Roosevelt family when we they in residence on the island.

St. Anne's Church, Campobello Island
Heart 2 Comment 0

At the ferry landing, we had 30 minutes to wait for the next crossing.  As he often does, Kerry found a way to draw a crowd.

What is he getting out of the water?
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's a crab. It was returned unharmed whence it came.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The ferry arrived exactly on time and we departed Campobello for the 25-minute trip to Deer Island.

Leaving Campobello
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bike was comfortable on the trip. The cost surprised us. We were told that the ferry is run by a government subsidized private company. Our fare was $11. We rarely have paid more than $2 or $3 for the two of us and the bike.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Eastport, ME from the ferry
Heart 1 Comment 0
We went to Deer Island, which is ahead on the right.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After she collected our fare, we had a nice chat with Corina.  She has been an attendant on the ferry for over 19 years and had answers to all our questions. She started working on the ferry when she lived on Deer Island, but has since moved to the mainland, so she has to catch the other ferry every day to get to work.  She laughed when she said it made for a long day as her ferry runs from 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM.

Corina
Heart 1 Comment 0

The ferry docked on Deer Island, and we started what turned out to be about ten very challenging miles.  There were many short steep hills that we walked.  I didn't get the camera out much.

Interesting old building
Heart 2 Comment 0
Big Meadow Lake tubers get ready to enjoy a warm summer Saturday.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Curt & Helene ReedI bet you the water is not that warm
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Curt & Helene ReedI'm sure it isn't. I tell you folks up here have a very different definition of "warm" than we do!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A local man told us this was salmon aquaculture.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we finally got to the other end of Deer Island, we caught the free ferry to the New Brunswick mainland.  We arrived with perfect timing.  We rode onto the ferry without stopping and by the time we started to get off the bike, the ferry was already moving.

The ferry bike talk - usually Kerry holds court at these sessions, but he wasn't around when the guys gathered and started asking questions, so I was up! Kerry here... When I finally showed up, it seemed to me that the guys were paying way more attention to Jeanna than the bike!!
Heart 2 Comment 0

The ferry took us to the mainland and MUCH better cycling terrain.  There were still plenty of rolling hills, but none of the really steep hills we encountered on Deer Island.

We wondered what the blue veins of rock are. Anyone know?
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a relatively pleasant 20 miles, we arrived at the little motel/restaurant we booked.  The restaurant is very popular with locals.  It has been busy since we got here about 4.  Our dinner was good, but nothing memorable.

Bay Breeze restaurant
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our room is large, clean and simply furnished.  There is no fridge or microwave, but we can do without them with the restaurant right next door.  There is an awesome view of the Bay of Fundy from our porch.

View from our room porch
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 2,572 miles (4,139 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0