Day 70 - Wiscasset to Camden - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2022

Day 70 - Wiscasset to Camden

It was very chilly this morning, but yesterday's rain had all cleared out.  After breakfast, we layered up with our warm gear and started off for Camden.

This is the Sheepscot River, not far from Wiscasset.
Heart 2 Comment 0
I liked this line of old trucks.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We noticed this on our previous rides through Maine.  The house and barns are all connected.  Is this just a winter barn or is it used all year?  Is it winter weather which makes people build like this?  Do they just like being close to their animals?  

And, my number one question - how does the house smell? (Or is that a number 2 question??)
Heart 2 Comment 0
These old cemeteries make me want to stop and read the headstones. We always just keep riding, but someday, we're going to stop and check a few out more closely.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More rock along the sides of US 1. Our rides remain very hilly.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This is a railroad trestle at Thomaston.  I had to lighten this image considerably for it to show anything.

Heart 0 Comment 0

This is what the sky actually looked like.  At this point, we had about twelve miles to go.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Main Street of Thomaston. There was also a bit of urban sprawl with big box stores. Thomaston must be a commercial center for the area.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The last town before we reached our hotel was Rockland.  The state of Maine provides a ferry service from Rockland to the Penobscsot Bay islands of Vinalhaven, North Haven and Matinicus.

Rockland Harbor and ferry landing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Maine lobster
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry wanted to visit the Maine Lighthouse Museum in Rockland.  

Kerry here with more FUN FACTS:  Although one of Maine's nicknames is The Lighthouse State, Michigan has the most lighthouses of any state with 150.  Maine is 2nd with 80.  Overall, the U.S. has more lighthouses and range lights than any other country, with about 1,500 scattered in 32 states. 

Fog Horns
Heart 1 Comment 0
More Fog Horns
Heart 1 Comment 0
A Lyle Gun and Faking Box, which we've talked about previously. The trailer with the rigging for a breeches buoy was new to us.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close-up of a breeches buoy
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had never heard of a peapod boat before.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Maine Lighthouse Museum also had over a dozen large scale models of Maine lighthouses. The models were very well done with lots of intricate details.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A model of the Porland Head Light. We visited the real deal a few days ago.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat’s a beautiful light.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The forecast for tomorrow is for temperatures in the upper 40's and rain on and off all day.  Kerry would have ridden anyway, hoping for the best, but I am not nearly as tough as he is.  He kindly agreed to spend tomorrow here in Camden, even though we have to change hotels and it will be something of a hassle.  I just can't make myself ride on a cold rainy day if I have a choice.

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 2,367 miles (3,809 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1