Day 66 - Ogunquit to Old Orchard Beach - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2022

Day 66 - Ogunquit to Old Orchard Beach

Heart 0 Comment 0

In the first mile of today's route, we had a short unpaved trail.  When we saw the sand, we thought it would be a walking, not riding trail.  But, the sand quickly ended and we had a hard surface we could ride.  The trail was only about .25 miles, then we were back on our much preferred asphalt.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Scenes leaving Ogunquit-

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we were in Lowell, we went to a trolley museum that had very little to see.  The man there told us we needed to visit their main museum which was in Kennebunkport.  Kerry looked at out route and it was not far off our planned route, so we decided to go see it.  We rode up the museum and the sign announced "Museum Closed".  That was a real disappointment.  We rode on down to the museum building and saw a big tour bus out front and many people walking around.  Great - the museum was open after all.

Heart 0 Comment 0
These very nice folks were on a tour bus from Mississippi.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry went in to get tickets while I was chatting with these people.  He came out without tickets - he was told the museum was open ONLY for tour groups on Tuesdays.  We grumbled about it for a few minutes and decided to go back in and see what we could do.  A different person came out and said we could walk around and see all the trolleys, but we couldn't ride the trolley.  We told her we were fine with that, and then she surprised us by giving us tickets for free!  Our moods instantly changed, and we had a great visit.   

This is the trolley we couldn't ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a signal tower from Boston.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This trolley has a new driver - or should that be conductor?
Heart 1 Comment 0
Well restored trolley from Biddeford, just north of Kennebunkport.
Heart 0 Comment 0

These pictures are for our Montreal friends.  I'm sure you are all too young to remember this, but maybe you heard about it from your older relatives?

Heart 0 Comment 0
The Golden Chariot
Heart 0 Comment 0

The grounds of the museum are huge and had a very industrial look. There were dozens of trolleys and buses to see. When we were walking around, we believed grounds had previously been a large maintenance depot because of all the buildings, sidings and overhead catenary. We later learned that it had all been built by the museum, mostly by volunteers.  Although we did not see it, one of the volunteers told us that they were currently in the process if laying additional track so they could extend the trolly ride. 

Interior of Golden Chariot
Heart 1 Comment 0

From Kennebunkport, we rode on the Old Orchard Beach.  We had beautiful beach views much of the way.

Surf fishing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

We had a bit of a hassle when we got to Old Orchard Beach.  I didn't remember the exact name of our motel - just "Sea -something".  We had the GPS route on the Garmins, so I figured we'd be fine.  Well, not so fine.  We came to the "Sea View" and had to walk down the block to check in.  Of course, they had no reservation for us.  Kerry looked at the Garmin and said we just hadn't gone far enough.  Not 200 feet up the road, there was the "Seagrass".  Bingo!  The owner remembered talking to me on the phone and they had everything ready for us, including making a place for the bike in their garage.  They were great hosts and we enjoyed our stay.   

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 2,252 miles (3,624 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Pam Dell’AquilaHi Kerry and Jeanna! Nick and I have been following your journey since we met in Ocracoke NC back in May. Looks like you have finally arrived in Maine, Nick’s old stomping grounds. Enjoy the pier fries and Bill’s Pizza at OOB!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith A. SpanglerOld Orchard beach sound familiar…..
Reply to this comment
1 year ago