Day 55 - Haverstraw to Danbury - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

June 3, 2022

Day 55 - Haverstraw to Danbury

Heart 0 Comment 0

We had the first day of real climbing on this tour.  After spending the night in Haverstraw, we took a fast passenger ferry across the Hudson to Ossining.  That's where the fun starts.  We rode this section in 2019, so we knew exactly what we had to look forward to.  The route climbs about 420 feet in 2.4 miles leaving the ferry landing.  There are some very steep sections.  We rode what we could and Kerry pushed the bike while I walked in some others.  It seems that we walked less in 2019, but I'm three years older and definitely not stronger.  Kerry pushed the bike right up and said he was fine doing it.  He finds it easier to push the bike without my trying to keep up with my short legs.

Once we got that climb done, we picked up the North County Trailway.  It's a rail-trail that's part of New York's Empire State Trail.  It started along a highway, then turned and went for miles through beautiful woods.

North County Trailway
Heart 2 Comment 1
I think this is Echo Lake
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cliffs across from the lake. We saw a few cyclists and many pedestrians on the trail.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We stopped in the town of Yorktown Heights to visit a bike shop that is near the trail.  The staff was very friendly and let Kerry borrow a tool so he could make an adjustment on the bike.

Dean and Brandon of Yorktown Cycles
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rail trestle across the New Croton Reservoir on the trailway
Heart 1 Comment 0
New Croton Reservoir
Heart 1 Comment 0
Another view of the woods on the trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch at Peppino's Pizza in Baldwin Place.  It was very good and very busy.  Kerry saw these 50 lb. bags of flour stacked by the door.  They told him that they use about 20 bags a week.  That's a lot of dough!

About a weeks worth of flour. Think of all the pepperoni needed!
Heart 1 Comment 0

At Balwin Place the North Country Trailway connects with the Putnam Trailway.

A bit hard to read, but Kerry voted to include it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Putnam Trailway was heavily wooded.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Middle Branch Reservoir
Heart 4 Comment 0

The trailway ended in Brewster and we had only six highway miles to reach our hotel.  

About a mile and half from the end of the route we entered Connecticut and Danbury
Heart 3 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 1,902 miles (3,061 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerGuys, Jason and Kait still live in Waterford, CT if you need anything! Let me know if you need their number just in case.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago