Day 52 - Westampton to Somerset - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 31, 2022

Day 52 - Westampton to Somerset

Today was the hottest one we've had in a long time.  When we got in at 1:30, the temperature was 96 and the heat index 100.  With Kerry's quite reluctant agreement, we got up at 5:30 this morning and were on the road by 6:45.

We went past a big, busy poultry farm - definitely free range chickens here.  There were already people at work in the yard at 7:00.

We were up with the chickens this morning!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

One turn on our route led us to this.  Kerry could see that we could probably get through.  Another advantage of bikes over cars.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We went from small town to small town today.  All of them seemed nice.  Unlike we have in so many places, especially in the South, we really haven't seen  decaying, dying little towns in either Delmarva or New Jersey.

This is Groveville, NJ
Heart 2 Comment 0
Homes clean, neat and colorful!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Many of them were multi-family homes.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This is the Rockingham Historic Site, where George Washington spent the fall of 1783.  It was closed today.  We find that more attractions are open now than they were in 2020 and 2021, but reduced days and hours are common.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The last part of our route today was along the Delaware and Raritan Canal between Bordentown and Somerset.  The canal was built in the 1830's and its greatest usage occurred in the 1860's and 70's, hauling coal from Pennsylvania to New York City.  With the advent of the railroads, usage declined and it was finally abandoned in 1932.

We saw stagnant water all along the way. These is a towpath on the other side, but it is not good for cycling.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode on Canal Street, which was good for cycling - well paved and very little traffic.

Canal Street
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerThat is crazy weather....I stayed home and packed for my tour ~ in the air condition! Travel on my friends. We are headed to Ocean City this weekend for pizza!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We were ready to get out of the heat by the time we got to our hotel.  I had called and they had a room ready for us when we arrived, which was very nice.  After lunch, lots of cold liquids and showers, we feel ready to face another day!

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 1,786 miles (2,874 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0