Day 46 - Chesapeake City to Dover - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 25, 2022

Day 46 - Chesapeake City to Dover

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a very nice stay in the Blue Max B&B in Chesapeake City last night.  It is a large home with about 8 rooms, I think, and we were the only guests.  We had our room, the living room and the dining room all to ourselves.  We had pizza and salad delivered and made ourselves at home.  If we had had decent internet, it would have been perfect. 

Wheat seems to be the predominant crop in this area. We have seen more wheat fields than anything else.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerPretty image.....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

In many places, though, something else is increasingly being grown.

Instead of acres of crops, acres of subdivisions are growing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It looks like new development.
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were two interesting stops in the small community of Taylor's Bridge.

This is the Reedy Island Range Rear Light, a skeletal tower built in the early 1900's. It has been automated and is still in use.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Taylor's Bridge School is now used as a community center.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It apparently hasn't been modernized too much - there is a portajohn out back. I didn't take a picture of it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Final field prep before planting.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A lone goose - we didn't see any others around

Is it a forward scout or evicted - or lost?
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last section of today's ride went through a largely undeveloped area of wetlands and marshes, much of which was designated as state wildlife area.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our hotel is across from the Dover Motor Speedway.  It was closed and quiet today.

The main entrance
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of the speedway
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of the speedway
Heart 0 Comment 0

I have come to believe that Kerry and I sorely offended the Empress of the Wind when we got a ride on Hatteras Island.  Whether we failed to respect her power and majesty by abandoning her presence to seek shelter or showed too little respect by not staying in when she clearly overpowered our humble selves, she has shown us her face almost daily since then.  We need to determine how to appease Her Imperial Highness so that she is willing to refrain from confronting us so strongly every day.  How does one make amends to the Empress of the Wind?

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 1,551 miles (2,496 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerKerry, can't believe you haven't figured how to do a sail on that machine! Winter project I guess....
Reply to this comment
1 year ago