Day 45 - Chestertown to Chesapeake City - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 24, 2022

Day 45 - Chestertown to Chesapeake City

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's journal is brought to you by Kerry.

 We woke up this morning to rain, so I went to the front desk and asked for a late checkout.  The clerk was very accommodating and gave us a 12:00 checkout.  By 11:30 the rain had stopped, and we got on the road. It was good that today was a short ride (31 miles) because, in addition to the rain delay, we had to battle a stiff headwind the entire way.  To put the cherry on top, it was cloudy and chilly with a high of 62.  We were certainly glad when we finally reached our B&B.

Today's ride was the first we've had in several weeks that wasn't flat.   It's not that we actually had hills, but rather that we had multiple creek crossings where we descended down to the creek and then had to climb up the other side.  Our elevation chart shows it all - every "V" was a creek crossing.

It also seems that the further north on the peninsula we go, the larger the farms are.

This is the first herd of dairy cattle we recall seeing in Delmarva.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many large farms we saw today. Someone told us recently that most of the small family farms had been purchased by larger landowners.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Broken down on the road. We doubt it's covered by AAA.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I thought this was a good candidate for a haunted house.
Heart 2 Comment 0

When we got to Chesapeake City, we went to the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal Museum.  Because of the late start and slow ride, we got to the museum just 15 minutes before closing.  Jeanna was probably glad of that, because I could have easily spent hours studying the machinery and reading every single exhibit.  Nonetheless, we did enjoy the visit. 

This family was enjoying a walk by the canal on the museum grounds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chesapeake City is at the center of the canal.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The museum is located in this original building from 1829.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Does the building of the canal change the Delmarva Peninsula to Delmarva Island??
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
As big as the steam engines are, they are dwarfed by the lift wheel. Unfortunately, I could not get a good photo of the wheel.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we checked in to our B&B, we decided that it was just too unpleasant to go out again, so we got comfortable, ordered in a pizza, and spent the evening reading and playing computer games.  

Even with crummy weather life is good!!!

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 1,513 miles (2,435 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Curt & Helene Reedvery interesting
Reply to this comment
1 year ago