Day 43 - Easton (St. Michaels) - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 22, 2022

Day 43 - Easton (St. Michaels)

Heart 0 Comment 0

We took an out and back ride from Easton today.  Even though I told Kerry after our 2019 trip that I was done with maritime museums, I agreed to go back to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.

St. Michaels Road from Easton was busy and loud, but had an excellent shoulder.

Maryland has had good roads for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A couple of old trucks seemed photo worthy this morning.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles into the ride, a cyclist passed us from behind and said "You are the people from Florida, aren't you?"  She was Pam, whose husband Steve we met at the boatworks in Cambridge day before yesterday.  Steve was right behind her.  

Pam
Heart 1 Comment 0
Steve
Heart 1 Comment 0
Together at the bike shop
Heart 1 Comment 0

We all rode along together until we reached St. Michaels.  Pam and Steve  were headed to a bike shop, so we stopped there with them for a few minutes.  We continue to be amazed at the people we run into!  We said goodbye to Pam and Steve and pedaled over to the Maritime Museum.

Ride with GPS routed us over a pedestrian walkway, so Kerry walked the bike to the museum.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I took a couple of pictures walking behind him.

This was a beautiful purple flowering shrub.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSome species of lupine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lupinus
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This mallard seemed to want to pose for a picture. His mate was splashing busily away in the water and had no time to hold still for a picture.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The museum is very large with many exhibits.  As I did last year, I'm going to focus on things that are new to us.

This is a "screwpile" lighthouse which was constructed offshore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A screw which went into the mud under the pilings to stabilize the structure.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Inside the lighthouse was this fog bell ringer.

The crank handle was attached, so you could ring the bell. Kerry enjoyed that.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The bell ringer mechanism
Heart 1 Comment 0
You can see the bell outside the window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
View of Miles River from the top of the lighthouse
Heart 2 Comment 2
Charlie StricklerWe use to anchor our sailboat (Matoaka) right in this picture. Enjoyed meeting you and hope to follow some. Charlie and Cathy
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Charlie StricklerWe enjoyed meeting you two as well. I hope you'll like following our blog from time to time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The museum has many examples of Chesapeake Bay boats.  The skipjack is the iconic Chesapeake Bay ship.

Heart 0 Comment 0
A model of the Charles B. Smith skipjack
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crabbing Skiff
Heart 0 Comment 0
A Log Canoe
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent about two hours at the musem, then rode 5 more miles to the end of the road in the tiny community of Claiborne.

The area between St. Michaels and Claiborne is very bucolic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road ends in Claiborne on the east shore of Chesapeake Bay, in an area called, fittingly, Eastern Bay.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonChesapeake Bay is famous for their crabs. Good crabs.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We're spending one more night in Easton then riding north to Chestertown tomorrow.  People have told us it is another charming Delmarva town.  

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 1,440 miles (2,317 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Bob DistelbergI visited the Easton/Saint Michael's area a few years ago, and I agree the roads are fantastic for cycling. Another nice ride from Saint Michael's is continuing on more towards the south and heading down to Tilghman Island. Lots of pretty scenery and the views of the Chesapeake Bay when you get down there are great.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago