Day 40 - Cambridge - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2022

Day 40 - Cambridge

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we took a loop ride to visit the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge and Harriet Tubman Visitor Centers.

Early in the ride, we passed this farmer fertilizing his field with "natural fertilizer". We were glad to get away from that aroma!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many of the ponds and sloughs we rode by were covered with duckweed.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A few miles into our ride, we joined a segment of the Harriet Tubman Byway.  Harriet Tubman, a renowned Underground Railroad "conductor", was born in this county. The Byway is a 125-mile route that takes one to several important sites related to her early life.

Image not found :(
Our first stop on the Byway was the Bucktown General Store. This is the store where the event described below occurred.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our second stop was the site of the Brodess Farm where, as a slave, she spent her childhood.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After several miles on the Byway, we entered the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge.  The Refuge was established in 1933 as a sanctuary for birds migrating on the Atlantic Flyway. Before going to the Visitor Center, we rode the 4-mile Wildlife Drive.  Wildlife Drive was built by the CCC at the same time the Refuge was established and follows the Blackwater River. 

When we first entered Wildlife Drive, we saw this couple unloading their bikes at the visitors parking lot.  We talked for a bit, then rode on.  We saw them again later at the Harriet Tubman Park.

Cathy and Charlie from Harrisonburg, VA
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not a great photo, but the white dot in the center is a large bird, but we couldn't identify it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
An impoundment area along the drive. The impoundment areas were created to provide more habitat for the birds using the flyway
Heart 0 Comment 0
The water was only a few inches below the roadbed.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A very pretty hardwood hummock along the drive
Heart 2 Comment 0

After leaving Wildlife Drive, we went to the Blackwater Visitor Center, but did not take any photos. 

After leaving the Blackwater Visitor Center, we rode a short distance to the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad National Historical Park Visitor Center, where we met Park Ranger Ms. Dennerd.  She was very friendly and had lots of questions about our trip.  She gave us some nice Harriet Tubman Park patches.  The visitor center was very nice and mainly chronicled Harriet Tugman's life, but again I did not take any photos.

Heart 0 Comment 0

After our visits to the parks, we were ready for lunch.  Shortly after turning on Church Creek Road, Kerry started talking about a large produce market we had visited in 2019 and thought it was somewhere in the area.  Sure enough, about 2 miles down the road, we came to Emily's Produce.   I don't know how he recalls these places before we even see them.  We stopped in and had very good salads for lunch. 

Emily's is a big market with local and regional produce and a nice deli.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is also a u-pick farm - strawberries are in now - and an outdoor picnic area.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And for the children, there is food to feed the goats. My little boy had a great time there.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were not the only ones having lunch!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 1,376 miles (2,214 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Alain AbbateWe stayed in this area a couple of years ago for a family reunion. It's a great biking area.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Alain AbbateYes, we have really enjoyed the cycling here.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago