Day 4 - Ormond Beach to St. Augustine - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 13, 2022

Day 4 - Ormond Beach to St. Augustine

Heart 0 Comment 0

We set a Reunion Bound speed record today, averaging 11.9 mph.  With flat terrain and a gentle tailwind, it was an easy riding day.  We reached a tour turning point today as well.  We turned north after our eastward ride across Florida.  We'll be largely northbound now until we reach Prince Edward Island.

We are riding through familiar territory still, having done this route several times, both north and southbound.  It was fun reminiscing about previous trips with Team Abbate in 2016 and the Bad Ass Gasses (let's call them the BAG's) in 2019.

The first several miles of our route today were along the Halifax River.  This road is lined with private homes.  Most are very new and very large.

Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonWow! Beautiful Home!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rose SamsonAnother beautiful Home! It must be nice biking through this B I G Houses, it gets your attention.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Here and there, we'd see a house like this.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We figure most of the owners of these older, simple little houses sold to the owners of the elaborate new ones for $$$$$.  Still, it seemed nice to see that there were some ordinary little places left.

It is also nice to see a few unspoiled, undeveloped stretches of oceanfront after miles and miles of high rise condos and hotels.

I think this is the Gamble Rogers Recreational Area.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Arriving in St. Augustine, we traveled across the famous Bridge of Lions.  (Notice the lovely sharrows on the road)

Just as we reached the bridge, the lights started flashing and the siren sounded. The drawbridge was going up.
Heart 4 Comment 4
Rose SamsonYes, we've been passing this drawbridge when we go to St. Augustine.
We buy San Sebastian Wine there. St. Aug is a historical place. Have many good restaurants!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonWe always enjoy a day in St. Augustine. It will be good to spend a day walking around playing tourist.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonShadow! Thanks for the new word - I’ve never heard this term.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonWe know the painted arrows over a bicycle symbol as a "sharrow", meaning arrows indicting sharing the entire lane.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
We got a front row view of the drawbridge being raised and lowered.
Heart 1 Comment 0

While we were waiting for the drawbridge, we had a nice conversation with a pair of cyclists from Quebec.  It turns out that we have ridden in the area where they live.  

We'll be here for two nights.  My brother and sister-in-law are coming down from Jacksonville tomorrow and we are definitely ready for a day off the bike!

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 203 miles (327 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0