Day 39 - Princess Anne to Cambridge - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2022

Day 39 - Princess Anne to Cambridge

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was another beautiful sunny day, just warm enough to be comfortable.  We continued to ride on quiet rural roads.  

These two large deer watched us approach, but ran off before I could get a closer picture. I love to watch them bounding across a field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Road view
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another road view - makes you want to go for a bike ride!
Heart 2 Comment 0
A mass of roadside wildflowers
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThe wild flowers along the road are a beauty to see. We have wild flowers along Hwy 44 in Citrus county, Win & I just drive around
& appreciate their beauty.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

I think the highlight of today was our ferry ride.  The Whitehaven ferry crosses the Wicomico River at the town of Whitehaven.  It is believed to be oldest continuously operating ferry in the United States.  There has been a ferry here since 1687.

The ferry can carry a maximum of 3 cars and 6 passengers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry landing opposite Whitehaven. The river is 1200 feet wide here.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is a cable ferry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brian talked to us about the ferry and its history while we rode across.
Heart 1 Comment 0
He also took our picture.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonWhat a nice picture with a tranquil water background.
A nice photo for your souvenir. You two look great!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonThank you, Rose
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Kerry here with FUN FACTS about the ferry: 

The ferry has only one operator per day. 

Depending upon the season, the operator's shift can last up to 13 1/2 hours.

On a busy day, the ferry will make about 150 crossings.

The ferry is owned and operated by Wicomico County (not the state)

The ferry does not run at low or high tide.  (In fact, Brian asked if we would be coming back soon, because he was going to shut down for a while due to low tide) 

The ferry has a limit of 3 cars and a total of 6 passengers per trip and the weight limit is 10,000 lbs.  Trucks, buses and RV's are prohibited.

When the ferry needs repairs it must be towed by a tug, because it has no steering capabilities.

All of the above is more than anyone of you wanted to know!!

Back to Jeanna...

On the other side of the river, a woman in a white car slowed and appeared to be trying to take our picture.  We were popular photo subjects today, as she was the first of 2 people who wanted a photo of us.  Always accommodating, Kerry pulled over and stopped.  It turns out Janet had talked to me at a convenience store in Virginia yesterday and had gone home and told her husband about us.  She was really surprised to see us riding near her house this morning.

Janet
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were all surprised by this roadside encounter.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch in Vienna, MD.  The lunch was good, but there's not much to the town.  

We saw this mural on the side of a building
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vienna's waterfront on the Nanticoke River.
Heart 1 Comment 0

This was something we hadn't seen before.  A semi was driving right through this field.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Another thing new to us - a mower attachment for mowing a ditch

Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles before we got to Cambridge, we saw these two cyclists and stopped to talk.  Chris and Dave are local riders who were out for a long ride today.  We had a good time chatting with them and Chris, who is a photographer, was the 2nd person who wanted to take our photo today.  It's a good thing that we're so photogenic!!

Chris and Dave
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 1,346 miles (2,166 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0