Day 35 - Grandy to Virginia Beach - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 14, 2022

Day 35 - Grandy to Virginia Beach

Heart 0 Comment 0

After avoiding all the rain yesterday, we weren't quite as lucky today.  The forecast called for a 30-60% chance of rain almost all day - with the highest chance around 12-1PM.  We had planned to get to the Currituck ferry landing 20 miles away in time to catch the 11AM ferry.  With the forecast, we decided to try to make the 9AM crossing.  Our tiny, uncomfortable, no WFI room at the Walnut Island lodge didn't invite us to linger this morning.  It was a disappointment to wake at 6AM and find it was already raining.  We went ahead and got packed up and were on the road by 7:15. It was raining lightly while we packed up, so that was a bit of a hassle.  It had almost quit when we pedaled off, but then there was another shower that lasted for a few miles.  By the time we had gone 10 miles, all the rain had stopped and we were able to get to the ferry landing in time to catch the 9AM ferry.  

I got the camera out at the ferry landing.  It turns out that this morning was the first running of the Currituck-Knotts Island ferry in six days.  The severe winds we had for so many days pushed the water out of the sound and it was too shallow for the ferry to cross.  Whether it was uncertainty about the ferry operation or the generally poor weather, we were the only passengers on the ferry for this crossing.  We had a lovely private cruise.

Only vehicle on the ferry this morning
Heart 1 Comment 0
The ferry crew were very friendly. We spent a lot of time talking with Richard Lee (on the right) on the way across. He patiently answered our many questions.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Leaving Currituck
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heading toward Knotts Island
Heart 0 Comment 0

I had more pictures of several boats traveling the ICW, but my camera ate them!

The weather improved after our ferry ride - it remained cloudy, but we had no more rain.  

Knotts Island is very rural with lots of farming.  

Just north of the ferry landing on Knotts Island is the Mackay Island National Wildlife Refuge. It was nice to ride through, but we didn't spot any wildlife from the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This paving pattern was great for cyclists.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grain elevator and corn
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was also lots of canola growing. The fields are so pretty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Always have to get pictures of the cows!
Heart 1 Comment 0
A pen of goats
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles after we left the ferry, we entered Virginia.  Virginia Beach has done the same thing as Jacksonville, FL and annexed the entire county where it is located.

No welcome sign for the state, just the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We saw this family enjoying strawberry picking. The field looked loaded with lucious ripe berries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This just looked too photogenic to pass up.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach.  

There were several hangers on the museum grounds. This hanger was dedicated to WWI aircraft
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
German V1 pulse jet
Heart 0 Comment 0
German V1 pulse jet
Heart 0 Comment 0
1966 Amphicar
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rose SamsonI like this car, good for summertime! The color too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithNothing says good times like a red convertible!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kerry loved Time magazine's quote about this car. You need to zoom in to read it!!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry here... A B25 Mitchell bomber. The museum had planned to fly it today, but because of the rain, the grass runway was too soft. Instead, they rolled it out on the apron and started it up. At first when it was idling it wasn't too loud, but when they opened the throttle, the Wright R-2600 Twin Cyclone engines really made a racket
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was a lot of smoke when each engine started (typical of all radial engines), but it soon cleared up.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This shirt made Kerry think of our friend Stan H.!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 1,157 miles (1,862 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0