Day 34 - Manteo to Grandy - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2022

Day 34 - Manteo to Grandy

Heart 0 Comment 0

We finally got back on the road today after waiting out the wind -and, we thought, the rain.  I check of the weather this morning showed an updated forecast with an 80% chance of mid-day thunderstorms.  It was time to get moving again, so we packed up and headed out about 9AM.  The first part of the route took us over the bridge from Manteo back to Nag's Head.  The bridge wasn't too steep and we climbed right over it.

This tower overlooks the Pamlico Sound at the east end of the bridge. I have no idea what it's purpose might be.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These are the classic Nag's Head oceanfront homes and motels. It has never been a "colorful" place, but classic beach houses.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The 21st century is coming to Nag's Head, though. These pastel houses are everywhere now. It is going to be the defining early 21st century beach house style, I think.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonColorful and looks nice! Looks like energy saving homes.
We just got back today from Chicago since May 14.
Graduation of our 2 grandsons and just have a family
get together since the pandemic.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonI'm glad you got to spend time with your family. I know it had been way too long since you could all get together.
We are so glad you're back - we have really missed hearing from you! We will look forward to all your comments.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
These has been a lot of rain. This is from last night, I think. In places it covered the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0

North of Nag's Head is Kill Devil Hills, then Kitty Hawk.  These are oceanfront homes at Kitty Hawk.

Nice Kitty Hawk Homes
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Kitty Hawk, we left the beach and rode through some of the residential neighborhoods away from the ocean.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There is a monument at the place Wilbur Wright started building his glider. It is in a residential part of Kitty Hawk.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The rain was expected around 11:00 AM.  At about 10:45 Am, we stopped at a 7-11.  It was dark and we could tell the rain was coming.  The clerk at 7-11 was very nice when we asked if we could wait out the storm in his store.

I didn't get his name, but we appreciate his hospitality.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Kerry had to find something to do to pass the time.

Straightening shelves is so gratifying!
Heart 4 Comment 0

It is hard to see in this picture, but we had some heavy rain.  I was very glad to be warm and dry inside.

It rained hard.
Heart 3 Comment 1

By a few minutes after 1:00PM, the rain had stopped and we checked the radar and decided it was a good time to get back in the road.

North of Kitty Hawk, we went past this big water park. There were several huge water slides.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We haven't seen much agricultural activity so far on this trip.  There were field of corn and wheat on the way to Grandy.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
And some horses, too.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The place we're staying tonight is the Walnut Island Lodge and Restaurent.

I wonder how much they make off the parking meter?
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sound view from the lodge
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Currituck Sound. Tomorrow, we will take a ferry across the sound to Knott's Island.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 1,096 miles (1,764 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0