Day 29 - Buxton to Manteo - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2022

Day 29 - Buxton to Manteo

Our first ever bump!

Heart 0 Comment 0

High wind, horizontal rain and cold - not so perfect cycling weather today!

We knew that the weather would not be great today, but it looked as if an early start would spare us the worst of it - maybe 15 mph headwinds, cloudy and high 50's.  Thinking we could manage that, we got up at 5:15AM and were rolling by 6:30AM.  That really may be a record early start for us.

An hour (and 8 miles!) into the ride, the wind was picking up and a light rain had started.  Over the next two hours, the wind grew stronger, the rain became horizontal, and the temperature dropped.  After three hours we had gone 21.5 miles.  We pulled into a Dollar General and asked the clerk if she knew anyone that had a long-bed pickup and said we would pay $100 for the 30-mile lift to Manteo.  She made a few phone calls but couldn't find anyone.  She said she was sure that someone would come in the store before long who could help us.  Kerry decided to walk across the street to a deli and make the same offer.  The first guy he spoke to said he knew someone and would call him.  His friend had a truck and a trailer and would be glad to drive us.

We covered the seats and took the panniers inside the store while we waited for our rescue.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerI learn so much from you guys! Perfect idea ~ ask for help; there are good people around!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Loaded DG shopping cart.
Heart 1 Comment 2
DAVID FAULKNERType your comment here
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo DAVID FAULKNERHi Dave,
Great to hear from you, but your comment was blank. At least I know you were thinking of us!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Troy with his truck and trailer and Rick and Kim in their car rescued us from Dollar General in Waves and drove us to our motel in Manteo.  When we arrived, all three of them refused to accept any money.

Our road angels, Troy, Kim and Rick They truly saved us today and we will always remember them!
Heart 5 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThank you for helping my friends! You guys rock and all bicycle travelers thank you!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerI hope they realize how really grateful we were. I like what you said about all bicycle travelers thanking them. There's certainly reassurance to cyclists in knowing that help is out there when we're on the road.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We got checked in at our motel, turned up the heat and spent a long time a hot shower.  I think that almost nothing feels as good as being warm and dry when you've been cold and wet!

High winds from the north and intermittent rain are forecast for the next few days.  We're going to stay right here until it's fit weather for cycling again!

Kerry here...  In our 7 years of long-distance touring, this is the first time we've ever started a day that we did not finish.  Even though it was somewhat tough going from the beginning, I thought we would complete the ride, even if it took longer than we originally believed.  That belief held until about mile 18, which is when the weather took a big turn for the worse and it was then that I really thought about bailing.  By time we got our ride with Troy arranged, the wind had picked up so much that sand was beginning to cover the road, the rain was horizonal and visibility was poor - truly an unsafe cycling situation and I have no regrets about getting a "bump". 

Today's ride: 22 miles (35 km)
Total: 1,055 miles (1,698 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 11
Suzanne GibsonQuite an adventure! I never stop being amazed at the kindness of strangers! Hope you can get back on the road soon!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Suzanne GibsonThanks, Suzanne. We've decided to wait out this little stretch of bad weather here at Manteo. Since we are retired and tour purely for fun, delays are not a problem.
You are right about the kindness of strangers. Most people seem to enjoy having a chance to help others.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rich FrasierSounds like you made a really smart decision!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich FrasierWe were very happy to get that "bump" and arrive here safely. It was not a day for cycling.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettWe've met many "road angels" on our tours and their generosity never ceases to amaze us. You made a good call! We're in North Myrtle Beach and the wind this morning is VERY strong. No bike riding today.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
DAVID FAULKNERAmazing weather, considerate new friends.
Trust you waited out the horrific weather
Stay well you two!
Thinking of you dealing with this outstanding trips destination
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo DAVID FAULKNERYes, we are waiting out the weather in a motel room in Manteo. It's a good thing we enjoy each other's company!.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo marilyn swettThe kindness and generosity of complete strangers is amazing - and heartwarming. We're still in Manteo and will be until Friday morning. The wind has been just howling outside since we got here two days ago and is expected to continue for a couple more days. We're staying put until things are much calmer.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
marilyn swettIt's also very windy here in North Myrtle Beach with rain coming in at the end of the week. I'm glad we're not touring and have other options of things to do indoors.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith A. SpanglerA lot of weather along the EAST Coast, NC is seeing some harsh weather - homes are being washed away. Becareful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerWhen we got our bump on Sunday, we were just a few miles south of the place the homes were washed away and the road was closed by sand and ocean overwash the next day.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago