Day 24 - Topsail Beach to Jacksonville - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 3, 2022

Day 24 - Topsail Beach to Jacksonville

We enjoyed today's ride.   We rode 15 miles to the north end of Topsail Island and then 25 more miles into Jacksonville.  After our unpleasant miles on 17 over the last several days, we were a little concerned about the miles we had to ride on it to get to Jacksonville.  It turned out to be safe and comfortable cycling.

Topsail Beach is at the south end of Topsail Island.  We rode north on the island, through Surf City and up to the smaller community of North Topsail.

The beach houses were the same style as the rest of the island - nothing ostentatious, just attractive homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The house in the middle needs a little siding work, but maintaining a beach house is a never ending job.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This looks like an older little house that has been well maintained and updated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This place is neither well maintained nor updated, but its owners have found a way to make money from their property without having to invest anything. The parking rate for the spaces in front of the building are $5/hour, $20/day, $80 week.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Another moneymaker
Heart 0 Comment 0
These two houses were connected with quite elaborate wooden walkways.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we left the town of North Topsail and neared the north end of the island, we saw the island's only "high-rise" condo building.

I think six stories is taller than anything we saw on the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0

To get back on the mainland, we went over the Intracoastal Waterway.

Image not found :(
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of tiny islands - would this have made a useful hiding place for pirates?
Heart 3 Comment 0

As I said, we had some concerns about being on US 17 again.  Those concerns turned out to be unfounded.

We had this excellent shoulder all the way on 17. The traffic was much lighter than we expected, too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Oh no, the dreaded road construction!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fortunately, it was some bridge work which closed one traffic lane and left the shoulder for us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We arrived in Jacksonville early this afternoon, about 1:45.  Our room wasn't ready until a little after 3:00.  It was mildly annoying, but they were working with a very shorthanded housekeeping staff - and made it right with Kerry by giving him free Diet Coke.

Laundry is in the dryer, dinner (Hey Jerry - it's Chicken Caesar Salad) is in the fridge, and all's right with our world tonight.

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 862 miles (1,387 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 1