Day 23 - Topsail Beach - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

May 2, 2022

Day 23 - Topsail Beach

We got out before lunch and took a long walk on Topsail Island.  We are staying at Topsail Beach, near the south end of the island.  It is a quiet and low key town, especially on a Monday in the "shoulder season" before the influx of summer tourists.  There are only three restaurants here and a couple of small gift shops.  We are staying at one of the three motels on the south end of the island.  Everything else is homes and most of them seem empty today.  It was a perfect day for a stroll.

Prior to WWII, Topsail Island was largely uninhabited and undeveloped.  Access was only by boat.  The US Army took possession of the island at the beginning of the war and erected training facilities and support buildings, as well as floating bridge across the Intracoastal Waterway.  Immediately after the war, the Navy took possession of the island and began an early guided missel development program.  Observation towers to track the missel tests were built along the island.  The program ended in 1948 and the island was returned to the original owners.  The towers remained and today some are visible along the road.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
This tower is the one closest to its original state. I believe that the stairs have been removed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I read that this one had been used as a beach house. I couldn't tell by looking at it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A number of the towers have been incorporated into larger homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

On our walk today, we admired the landscaping in the town and around the homes.  We saw a few different flowering shrubs blooming.  I don't know the names of them, but they are very attractive.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

And then, we walked by these.  I think they look like an invasion of marauding shrubs!

Heart 0 Comment 0

Of course, we spent some time on the beach.  It was nearly deserted and just beautiful.  Dunes preservation and restoration with sea oats is ongoing.  There are signs at all the beach access points asking people not to walk on the dunes.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Recently planted sea oats - part of the dunes preservation program
Heart 1 Comment 0

I didn't get a picture of any of the "Please stay off the dunes" signs, but I did find a few other good ones.

As operators of a low speed vehicle, this one seemed strange. The speed limit on this very quiet road is 25mph. What are they trying to prohibit? We assumed golf carts, but is that really necessary?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rich McKayMaybe they meant the sign for recumbent tandems?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich McKayWell we are certainly a low speed vehicle.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I just loved this sign on the bathroom door at the deli we visited for lunch. And lunch was very good, too.
Heart 0 Comment 0

And, finally, this is for one of our fellow CycleBlaze authors

Could this be Rachael's favorite intersection?
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0