Day 18 - Georgetown to Myrtle Beach - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2022

Day 18 - Georgetown to Myrtle Beach

Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode from Georgetown to Myrtle Beach today.  That persistent moderate headwind we can't seem to shake was back again, but the weather was otherwise just perfect.  There was no repeat of the torrential rain and strong thunderstorms we rode through on this route in 2019.  

Our first stop was at the Hobcaw Barony.  It has an interesting history. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The Baruch home and some of the estate buildings are open for tours by reservation only, so we chose not to do that.  We had a very good time exploring the visitors center.  Belle Baruch, who created the foundation to preserve the land for research and education  - and to prevent any commercial development - was quite a woman.   She was an award winning equestrian, a pilot and a dedicated outdoorswoman.  She also used her intimate knowledge of the Barony's coast to come to the aid of the FBI during WWII.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

We decided to ride out to Pawleys Island today.  It is a quiet, peaceful, very laid-back tiny beach community.  I think that there are only two commercial properties on the island, both old historic inns.  There are a number of rental homes, but none of the huge garish places found on nearby beaches.  Pawleys Island is known for the rope hammocks created by a local riverboat captain in 1889 and still made and sold by his descendants and also for Palmetto pimento cheese, which I believe to be the only store bought pimento cheese fit to eat.

The Pelican Inn is still run as a bed and breakfast.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Pelican Inn
Heart 1 Comment 0

The beach cottages are mostly small and not newly built.

A pretty cottage
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is what a big beach house looks like on Pawleys Island.
Heart 0 Comment 0
And one more appealing house
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonA rocking chair would be nice to have on this porch to watch people
pass by and bikers as well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The waterway which separates the island from the mainland is Salt Marsh Creek.  This is where owners and guests dock their boats.

Boat docks
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the docks require long piers.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Heading on north from Pawleys Island, our route took us off US 17 for several miles.  This was so nice - very little traffic and clean, smooth, unbroken pavement

You may be able to see the bike path on the far right. The road was so nice, we didn't use it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Now, we get back to US 17, but have the Waccamaw Neck Bikeway to use.  It did not have clean, smooth, unbroken pavement.  It was twisting, with blind curves and rough, irregular pavement.  We went from trail to road to trail to road, trying to decide which was worse.  The road finally won out.  Fortunately, we had only a short distance to go.

It looks pretty, but it wasn't a comfortable ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were many tight curves like this.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just after our last stop of the day, we saw two cyclists and stopped to talk.  They are from Quebec and with their moderate English and my limited French, we managed to communicate pretty well.  They are from the small town of Sainte-Adele, which we visited in 2017 on the way to see our friends Jacques and Lise.  Linda and Raynald are traveling in the southeast with their travel trailer and were out for a bike ride today.

Linda and Raynald from Sainte-Adele, QC
Heart 2 Comment 2
Linda DionHi ! Bonjour ! It was nice to meet you in Murrells Inlet. We are now back home (Ste-Adèle, Québec). Hope you enjoy your trip.
I will follow you !
Have a safe trip.
Linda & Raynald
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Linda DionHi Linda,
Thanks for your comment. After we met you, we looked back at our travel notes and saw we did spend two nights in Ste Adele in August, 2017 at a B&B Le Clair Matin Sante. We liked your town.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The last little beach town before Myrtle Beach was Surfside Beach.  It was very clean and well-kept with many smaller homes and condo developments.

No McMansions here
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonA nice community for a daily walk! No worry for dogs outside.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
And smaller condo developments
Heart 0 Comment 0

We'll be here in Myrtle Beach for two nights.  Neither of us can remember why we planned a rest day after just having a day off in Georgetown.  It must have been due to availability of hotel reservations or an upcoming ferry schedule.  For whatever reason, we're going to enjoy a day relaxing here tomorrow.  We might even get out on the beach.

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 665 miles (1,070 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0