Day 17 - Georgetown - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 26, 2022

Day 17 - Georgetown

Today we walked around the Georgetown waterfront and historic district.

There are lots of pleasure boats
Heart 0 Comment 0
Just for our sailing friends - to make you remember those great days!
Heart 0 Comment 0

These are working boats.

Shrimp boats
Heart 1 Comment 0

And just steps away from the boats are the fruits of their labor

Shrimp fresh off the boat!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Other seafood, just as fresh, in the market. I almost never wish we had a place to cook when we travel, but this is one of those times.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We often post pictures of beautiful old building that have been lovingly restored.  There's no love for this old building today, though.  It's being torn down.

Demolition in progress this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped in at the South Carolina Maritime Museum.  We got a very warm welcome from the staff when they learned that we were traveling on our bike.

Hope, museum director and Ellen, volunteer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry and I with Hope. By the time we left, she had already logged on to our journal!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The museum was originally started by wooden boat aficionados.  There are many wooden boat models and photographs.

A new section is about the African slave trade with the southern US and contains information about the African countries where the people were captured and the shipping ports where they were held before being loaded onto ships.  It was a part of the slave trade we didn't know much about.  We also learned that the large majority of the captured Africans were sold into slavery before they left the ships.  The slave auctions which we've heard and read about accounted for only a small part of the sale of people captured in Africa.  

Another section of the museum recounted the story of the many shipwrecks off the coast near here and the later discovery and salvage of the wreckage.

This church bell was recovered in 1990 from the wreck of a ship in 1861. The bell had been ordered by a church in Conway, SC.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Equipment previously used by wreck divers
Heart 1 Comment 0

During WWII, Great Britain send ships to the Carolina coast to help protect US interests from German U-Boats.  In 1942, this ship sank off the coast.

Heart 0 Comment 0
I took a picture of these artifacts from the ship. The piece of equipment that looks like a cabinet is an early SONAR device. See the information below
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Here's a close-up of the ASDIC. Kerry was surprised that it was made entirely of brass instead of painted steel.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a late lunch - local shrimp, of course - and walked back to our hotel for a lazy afternoon.  Tomorrow we're headed to Myrtle Beach

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0