Day 16 - Moncks Corner to Georgetown - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 25, 2022

Day 16 - Moncks Corner to Georgetown

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we rode east, back to the Atlantic coast.  We'd been on a westward arc for a couple of days to skirt around Charleston.   No matter where we ride, though, we can't stay off US 17.  Today we were on 17 Alternate almost the entire route.  It was alternately good, fair and poor as a cycling route.

A railroad trestle across the Tailrace Canal near Moncks Corner.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerHi Guys, you are on the same route I used to go to Columbia, SC. I remember 17 (both), not fun in some areas. Becareful!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerMost of ALT-17 wasn't bad. Not a lot of traffic and everybody was polite. Still, I'd prefer to have a good shoulder to ride on, instead of riding in the traffic lane on a road like that.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Here is a section of 17A with a good shoulder.  It seems strange that the shoulders are better paved than the traffic lanes, but it worked for us!

Heart 1 Comment 0

There were several miles of shoulder widening in progress on the highway today.

What they were doing here was not going to make a very good cycling shoulder!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerAmazingly stupid right!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerWe had several miles if older shoulder like that that I couldn't ride on because of the seam. We ended up riding in the traffic lane, but Jeanna did a great job of calling the traffic for me.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
There were two stretches of one lane traffic. Kerry rode in the closed lane and we had it all to ourselves.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We ended in Georgetown this afternoon.  It is a resort town at the south end of the "Grand Strand" of South Carolina beaches.  We took a short loop through the waterfront and historic districts.

Georgetown Marina
Heart 3 Comment 0

As with all resorts, the main activity for many tourists here is shopping!

Heart 1 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerThe Old Fish House is really good!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerWe had a good lunch at the Thomas Cafe which is the building on the left with the green awning. We had Shrimp & Grits and a Shrimp Po'Boy.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 0 Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerKerry, if I'm not mistaken, you have a "fun" bridge to cross leaving there. I got a lift across it; you'll probably be fine though. (I am a wimp)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Keith A. SpanglerKeith,

If you're definition of "fun" is a big climb, I guess we'll be having "fun"! Our hotel is right beside the bridge, so we'll be tackling it with "cold" legs just to add to our pleasure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Tomorrow, we plan to walk around the downtown tourist area and visit some museums and see the sights

After Two Far 2019, I told Kerry I would never go to another east coast maritime museum, but we'll probably make this one of our stops.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 625 miles (1,006 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0