Day 120 - Collingwood - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2022

Day 120 - Collingwood

Today was a rest day with no cycling, but we took a walk through town and have some pictures to share.

The Collingwood Museum is housed in a replica of the old train station.  It is quite small and focused on the shipbuilding history of the town.  The Collingwood Shipyard began operation in 1883 and closed in 1986.  The launching of a new ship was done as a "side launch" due to the shallow water of the launch site.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

 

A statue of Father Time from 1878.  My father-in-law, as a widower in his late 70's with a lovely lady friend, used to say he'd like to have sex, but his parents wouldn't let him - Mother Nature and Father Time.  I don't know whether that was original with him, but I always thought it was a great line.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

After our visit to the museum, we walked out along the harbor.  There were metal ovals in the cement walkway all the way to the end at the old grain terminal.

Heart 0 Comment 0

They are replicas of the hull plates from ships built here.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

On the northeast side of the harbor is Georgian Bay.

Heart 0 Comment 0

On the southwest, the harbor overlooks the Blue Mountains, described as a promontory on the Niagara Escarpment.  Blue Mountain is a large ski resort which also offers hiking and other summer recreation.

Those condos have a magnificent view!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonPeople living in these Condos have a beautiful view while sipping their morning coffee or drinking beer or wine. Just relaxing to watch the boats anchored there! AAH! One nice way to enjoy Life.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The grain elevator below shipped grain from Collingwood from 1929 until 1993.

It's empty now and owned by the town. Plans for use as hotel/condo/retail space are being considered.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Walking back, we met this guy and his human companion.

And this is Fang. Fang loves attention and enjoys having his picture taken. We were happy to oblige him on both counts.
Heart 1 Comment 0

A new high rise condo is going up on this site.  Kerry had just as much fun here as anywhere else we went today.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rich FrasierI just love how you two manage to find interesting stuff everywhere you go. It’s inspiring!!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago