Day 118 - Wiarton to Owen Sound - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2022

Day 118 - Wiarton to Owen Sound

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was chilly today - the temperature remained about 60 degrees all day.  Kerry and I started out with adding only long sleeves to our regular cycling apparel, but quickly realized that was not going to do.  We pulled into the parking lot of a long-term care facility and Kerry went in to add some layers.  I was fine just putting on my extra stuff outside.

As we were donning our warm layers, I noticed a man across the street cleaning his car wearing shorts, a T-shirt and sandals.  I have a cartoon at home that shows about the same thing with a Floridian dressed for 60 degrees in jeans, boots, jacket, gloves and cap and a Michigander in shorts, T-shirt and flipflops.  Here was my cartoon come to life!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Now adequately attired, we were ready to ride.  A moment later, another touring couple rode up and stopped to talk.  We recognized each other from a meeting in a grocery store parking lot three days ago.  They've been some of the same places that we have, but they are camping.  They're returning to Owen Sound tonight where they left their car.  Caroline said this was their first multi-day tour.

Lionel and Caroline from Quebec City. Happy touring!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Riding east from Wiarton, we started seeing these rocky cliffs along the road across from the bay.  Google tells us they are limestone.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The road headed east until we reached this beautiful view of Georgian Bay, then turned south toward Owen Sound.

The roads definitely go DOWN to the bay and UP away from it. We've done some climbing in the last few days.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We pulled into a scenic lookout to appreciate the views.  While we were there, we met this nice group from Grand Bend, ON enjoying the holiday weekend.  Jennifer, on the far right, told us she had been swimming with the manatees in Crystal River.

Paul, Theresa, Bill and Jennifer
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rich FrasierShorts and sandals again! Those Canadians are tough.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich FrasierI was hoping someone would notice that. I told these guys about my cartoon, so they took off their jackets.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Before we got to Owen Sound, we dropped down to a road which ran right along the Georgian Bay shoreline.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were some very nice homes across the street from the bay.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

And on the bay side, each home seemed to have its own bayfront property with decks, docks and gazebos.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Not too long after I took these pictures, it started to rain a little bit.  We had light showers for the last eight miles today.  It wasn't terrible, but chilly, windy AND wet is not a great combination!  We're now warm and dry and in a better lodging than we were the last two nights, so life is good.

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 3,776 miles (6,077 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0