Day 117 - Lion's Head to Wiarton - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 3, 2022

Day 117 - Lion's Head to Wiarton

Heart 0 Comment 0

We reached the northernmost point of our tour yesterday and started back south this morning.  It was a very short route of 27 miles, so we didn't leave until 10:45.  It was good that we didn't have to leave early and could sleep-in, because the room directly over ours was full of children that ran, stomped and carried on until after midnight.  It was a pretty crappy motel with a very uncomfortable bed to begin with, so it wasn't our best night on the road.  Part of the experience of bike touring...

Most of the ride was along very low traffic roads,

Heart 0 Comment 0

As we saw yesterday, the non-coastal areas were primarily farming.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We did get some big hills to tackle today.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

That was basically our day until mile 20, when we turned east on Hwy 6 towards Wiarton.  

We suddenly saw Colpoy Bay ahead of us. This is the arm of Georgian Bay where Wiarton is situated.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at Subway for lunch.  While we were there, more than one person asked if we were going to visit Wiarton Willie while we were in town.  Wiarton Willie is a close cousin of Punxsutawney Phil.  He lives in the Wiarton Bluewater Park

Wiarton Willie statue in the park
Heart 0 Comment 0
When I went to take a picture of the statue, there was a boy playing on it. He tucked himself behind it to be out of sight for my picture, but couldn't resist peeking around to see what I was doing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wiarton Willie's home. He was not out when we were there.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a ride along the waterfront past the Bluewater Park.

Someone created summer on the roof on this building. Looks inviting!
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonO what a clever idea on top of the roof:
With picnic tables and chairs plus umbrellas above it makes a nice place to watch a baseball or soccer game. Or just a place to eat away from the kitchen. Ice cold BEER anyone!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Wiarton marina
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colpoy Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colpoy Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another down-scale motel tonight - so far, no stomping kids, but a couple of barking dogs.  It's a bit nicer than last night's, so we are grateful for that.  We finish our ride on the Bruce Peninsula tomorrow with a trip to Owen Sound.

Today's ride: 27 miles (43 km)
Total: 3,744 miles (6,025 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0