Day 116 - Southampton to Lion's Head - Two Far 2022 - Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 2, 2022

Day 116 - Southampton to Lion's Head

Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonIt’s interesting to see this. I’ve never noticed this peninsula before, but it’s the mirror to Wisconsin’s Door Peninsula. Both part of the Niagara Escarpment I guess.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonYes, that's what we read. I didn't know that the Niagara Escarpment extended as far west as Wisconsin.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We finally made it to the Bruce Peninsula today.  There were a lot of trees and more farms than we expected.   We also saw the occasional waterfront view and passed through a few small beach towns that were wall-to-wall with people and cars on this Labour Day weekend.

Leaving Southampton, we rode past several miles of lakefront cottages that were almost completely shielded from the road by foliage.

There are beach cottages down each of the driveways on the left.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Many of the driveways had something bright and distinctive on the street, perhaps to help guests locate the cottage

This bright green chair would be easy to spot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Since I take most of my pictures from the back of the bike, we often pass something that I wish I had gotten a picture of, but it's usually not worth the trouble to turn around for.  This was an exception - it was definitely worth turning around to photograph!

Mama's ready for the beach!
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis picture of "Mama going to the beach" is really funny!
MAMA, make sure your cute hat will not be blown off by the wind.
Enjoy your swim unto the water.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Sauble Beach was very busy and crowded.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We'd never seen one of these ropes courses as an outdoor attraction.  It was huge and had lots of customers.  

Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonYes, kids & young teens love this rope attraction.
I think they like this better than swimming. More Fun!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
One view of a quiet section of beach away from town.
Heart 1 Comment 0

North of Sauble Beach is Sauble Falls.  It was also very popular on this beautiful holiday weekend.

Sauble Falls
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Somewhere past Sauble Falls, we saw a side road that led down to the water and turned down it to check the view.  This large black truck seemed to be following us - and it was.  This is John who saw us yesterday in Port Elgin and wanted to talk.  I think this is the third time this summer that we've talked with someone who had seen us earlier in another town.

John
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were surprised how much agriculture there was when we got away from the lake front.   We later saw a sign promoting "Bruce Beef".

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first view of Georgian Bay in Lion's Hard.  The cliff formation here is said to resemble a lion's head.

Looking out on Georgian Bay from the Lion's Head breakwater.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonIt is a beautiful view. I won't get tired standing on those white stones
& have a binocular in my hand, viewing those homes up on a hill.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
The water at the shoreline was very clear.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There is a swimming beach and marina behind the breakwater.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonWhat a special day spending the Holiday weekend at this beach.
A good family time together.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

On the way to the motel, we saw this combine harvesting wheat.  We see so many crops growing during our summer travels, there's something satisfying about seeing harvest.

Heart 0 Comment 0

As is our daily habit, we stopped at a convenience store on the way to the motel to get our evening supply of Diet Coke.  We met Kristen, who shares our Diet Coke addiction - she says it's her drug of choice, too.  She had to get her partner, who is a Diet Coke skeptic, to meet some people as dependent as she is!

Dave and Kristen from Windsor, ON. (I hope I remembered your name correctly, Dave)
Heart 1 Comment 1
Dave GerardShe’s still using !!
I think it might be a problem lol
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Today's ride: 48 miles (77 km)
Total: 3,717 miles (5,982 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0