Day 115 - Kincardine to Southampton - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

September 1, 2022

Day 115 - Kincardine to Southampton

Heart 0 Comment 2
Rose SamsonHow many days more for the CLASS REUNION!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonKerry's reunion is September 24. There's also an informal get together on the 23rd, so we'll have two days to socialize after riding 4500 miles to get there!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We had an excellent ride today - not just because it was short, which I really like - but also because we had great roads, interesting things to look at and just beautiful weather.

The day started well when we took our time and didn't leave until after 10:30.   After only a couple of miles, we were out of town and back out in the country.

There's something so peaceful about cows in a pasture.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Like a private cycling trail
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were riding near the shore of Lake Huron, but had only occasional glimpses of the water.   The road was lined with mostly modest homes and summer cottages.  We noticed something we had never seen before in this neighborhood.  The covered trash containers - which must be mandatory in some parts of Canada - had signs which could be placed on the front noting, we guessed, whether or not there was trash to be collected.  This would keep the truck from having to stop at each house for someone to check inside the trash box.  It seemed like a very good plan to us.

Heart 0 Comment 0
This Yes sign is hard to see in the picture, but that's what it says.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The neighborhood changed when we entered Mystic Cove.

Heart 0 Comment 0
It was a newer community of larger homes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
While cycling through, we met Logan's grandfather, who just returned from Calgary where he met his first grandchild for the first time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A good thing we saw among the lakefront homes was signed public pathways like this one which lead down to the shore. I hate to see places where beach access is curtailed because of expensive waterfront property.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just north of Mystic Cove, we came to a massive Bruce Power complex.  Logan's grandfather told us it was one of the largest nuclear power plants in Canada.

Bruce Power
Heart 0 Comment 0
They were serious about their security gates.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were gigantic power lines coming from the plant.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked this view where you can see the power lines, a white gas line in the forefront and wind turbines in the rear. Multi-modal power!
Heart 2 Comment 0

The route which we enjoyed so much today appears to be very popular with cyclists.  We saw many local riders and a few touring cyclists also.  These three women from Quebec said this was their first day on the road for this tour.

Meet Lisa, Rosalie and Camille
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Port Elgin on a beautiful wide boulevard with great lake views.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The last picture of the day, somewhere between Port Elgin and Southampton. That tractor looks very precariously balanced on that pile of sand!
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our destination for the day, Southampton, is another picturesque tourist town on the peninsula and home to the Bruce County Museum.   We stopped and toured the museum, and while very nice and well done, there was not much of anything that we haven't already seen in similar museums, so I did not take any pictures.  

Kerry here... After the museum, it was as short 1/2-mile ride to our hotel.  We checked in and then walked across the street to the local supermarket, where we procured provisions for the night, in anticipation of another lazy evening of eating, channel surfing and playing on our computers.

LIFE IS GOOD!!

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 3,669 miles (5,905 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0