Day 113 - Goderich to Kincardine - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2022

Day 113 - Goderich to Kincardine

Heart 0 Comment 0

We started today with a visit to the excellent Huron County Museum in Goderich.  To get there, we rode through the town square - or actually, the town circle -which goes around the county courthouse.

Heart 0 Comment 0
The circle is full of vibrant businesses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Bedford Hotel is on the courthouse circle. All we could learn about it is that it is a century old building still operating as a hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We got a nice wave from a guy at the bike shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Huron County Musuem is housed in the old public school, built in 1856 and used as a school for almost a hundred years.

The historical recreations portray life in Goderich in the late 19th century.  One section has a Victorian apartment.

The parlor
Heart 1 Comment 0
The master bedroom
Heart 0 Comment 0
The nursery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The dining room
Heart 0 Comment 0
The kitchen stove
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a large main street area with a wide variety of stores.  Something we haven't often seen was a display of hearses and caskets.  (My picture of the casket exhibit didn't turn out.)

Hearse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hearse
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black drapes worn by horses pulling the hearses
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry here... A 1/4 scale model of a Champion motor grader. It was built by Syd Lawson who worked for Champion and took him over 6 years to complete. The detail was amazing.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The original creator of the museum has this elevator built both for himself and for raising artifacts to the second floor.  It looks like an early model of today's chair lifts.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There were several bicycles hanging from the ceiling, It was hard to get a photograph that showed them.  Kerry found this one interesting.

Shaft-drive bicycle, manufacturer unknown.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old tandem with no information about it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In the children's hands-on area, Kerry found a toy he enjoyed playing with.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

A second museum was at the Huron Historic Gaol.  There wasn't really much to see there, but it was interesting to walk through.

There was a courtroom
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the guards' watch room, there was this game. There was no information about it. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?
Heart 0 Comment 2
Jacqueline WinterIt is called Croakenol, found in a lot of summer cottage around Ontario. The aim of the game is to use the discs to score points. You can bounce of other discs of the opposing color to get higher points. If you hit the centre, you remove your disc and count (I think it is 50 points). Then you can try again. Four players can play.
JackyW
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Jacqueline WinterThanks, Jacky, for the information. It was something we had never seen.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The room opened onto a cell block
Heart 0 Comment 0
A very bare cell
Heart 0 Comment 0

The jailer and his family had living quarters in the building.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was after 12:00 by the time we finished our museum visits and got going on today's route.  We decided to stop for lunch just five miles up the road at the Point Farm Market.  They had a food truck, a big picnic area and a busy miniature golf course.  We had delicious poutine and a good time talking with some of the other visitors.  It was almost all vacationing family groups.  I think we were the only ones there without kids. 

Classic poutine - worth a trip to Canada!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonO my! these poutines look delicious! I've not seen one here in USA.
Is that Kerry's hand trying to get one?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonYes, that is Kerry's hand. He was ready to eat!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A very nice family from Burlington, ON enjoying a family vacation
Heart 0 Comment 0
This guy had a higher priority than posing for pictures. He had ice cream to eat!
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few scenes from the road on the way to Kincardine

A yard full of goats
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonGoat meat is good & healthy, .... meat has less fat.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
An old farmstead.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A wall of straw
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yet another old barn
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw numerous wind turbines today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The last few miles, we rode near the Lake Huron shore.  From this road, we only got glimpses of the lake between the houses.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry decided we should go down to the lakefront road for better views.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Rose SamsonI wander if these stone Piles were purposely done in this manner to act
as a breakwater during storms to prevent street flooding? IT IS PRETTY NEAT THOUGH.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonWe figured they were there to keep high waves from washing over the road. They are also look good.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We did get better views and, as a bonus, worked off some of our poutine calories by making the steep climb up from the lake a couple of extra times!

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 3,635 miles (5,850 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0