Day 109 - Shelby Township to Wallaceburg - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

August 26, 2022

Day 109 - Shelby Township to Wallaceburg

Heart 0 Comment 0

After another day of busier roads than we like, and motorists less patient than they should be, we have made it back to Canada.

Soon after we started this morning, we were faced with this.

The bridge was being rebuilt and there was no way to ride on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of heavy equipment on the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
But we had this bike path to cross the river, so this time it was cyclists and pedestrians 1, cars and trucks 0.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We followed the north shore of Lake Saint Clair on our way to the ferry crossing across the Saint Clair River.

The homes we passed were a mixture of larger, newer houses and older, more modest ones. These are not the estates of Saint Clair Shores or Grosse Point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This one ultra modern house did stand out.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Rose SamsonThis house is uniquely designed. It is an eye catcher.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
This green growth is something Bill identified for us last year when we were traveling through the thumb of Michigan. I had to look back in the 2021 journal to remind myself of what he said. It's a plant called duckweed. Thanks again to Bill for all his efforts to educate us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at a park on the lake to enjoy the views.

Here there were ducks but no weeds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry walked out on the pier to talk with some of the people fishing. They were catching bass and catfish today.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonI love fishing in a place like this! I feel safe with the guardrails.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Looking north across the lake. Those thick clouds became more threatening, but we got only a tiny bit of sprinkles.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Saint Clair River empties into Lake Saint Clair at Algonac, Mi.  There is a ferry across the river which can carry about nine cars and a few pedestrians.  It is much easier than riding up to Port Huron and trying to get a shuttle across the Bluewater Bridge.  The bridge doesn't allow cyclists to ride across.  The shuttle service I contacted wanted $100 to take us and the bike.  This ferry cost us $5.00, took 15 minutes and then we spent five more minutes clearing Canadian customs.  

The Saint Clair River at Algonac
Heart 0 Comment 0
A freighter going upriver to Lake Huron
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the middle of the river, our ferry, the freighter and a small sailboat safely crossed paths.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went behind the southbound sailboat and the northbound freighter.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we had a brief chat with the very nice folks at Canadian customs, it was less than nine miles to our motel in Wallaceburg.  The rooms are nice, but not very large.  Once the owner saw that it was impossible to maneuver the bike into our room, the Seavo ended up in her own room for two nights, at no extra charge to us.   I think the Wallaceburg Inn qualifies as a truly bike friendly lodging!

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 3,469 miles (5,583 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0