Day 107 - Dundee to Wixom - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2022

Day 107 - Dundee to Wixom

Heart 0 Comment 0

Our day got off to a good start when we met James and his girlfriend outside the hotel as we were loading the bike.   They are from Coshocton, OH, close to Zanesville.  This couple was full of personality and enthusiasm for our trip.  It was a lot of fun talking with them.  So much fun that as we were laughing and preparing to ride away, the woman asked if we were forgetting our other bags.  The two rear panniers were still sitting against a wall!  We were very glad she was so observant and kept us from making a serious mistake.  She prefers not to be online, so no name or photo for her, so we'll thank James for having her with him.

James Brown and blue shoe woman. Thank you!
Heart 1 Comment 0

The first leg of the route took us to the town of Milan.  It was another pleasant little town to cycle through.

Heart 1 Comment 0
A bicycle rack, I think
Heart 2 Comment 0

Barns make such good photo subjects - especially red ones

Heart 3 Comment 0

Somewhere along the way today we saw this woman feeding geese.

I didn't capture it in the photo, but there were several waddling over to her. It looked like she was feeding them bread.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had some sections of busy road today through Ypsilanti and Wixom, but most of our miles were on roads like this.

Heart 0 Comment 0

An old silo standing out by itself.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The last 30 miles of our route had no gas stations, convenience stores or restaurants.   The only place we found to stop was the Willow Greenhouse.  The staff was very welcoming and invited us inside to rest and cool off.  It is a beautiful place with not only helpful and friendly staff, but also some resident cats, chickens and rabbits.

On the floor behind Kerry, you can see the food and water bowls for the cats. While we were there, a chicken came in and pecked at the cat food.
Heart 1 Comment 0
By the time I went and got the camera, the chicken was hiding under a bench outside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Nick Zimmer, owner of Willow Greenhouse. We only spoke for a few minutes, but he was a very outgoing, friendly guy. His place has a very nice "vibe".
Heart 0 Comment 0
North of Ypsilanti, we rode thru the LeFurge Woods Nature Preserve which is owned by the Southeast Michigan Land Conservancy. This was a section of restored wetlands on the preserve. In another area, they are working to reestablish prairie from former farmland.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode the ITC Corridor Trail near Novi, MI. The trail is paved and follows a power line corridor. This was a 2000' boardwalk over some wetlands.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 3,393 miles (5,461 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0