Day 105 - Upper Sandusky to Bowling Green - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2022

Day 105 - Upper Sandusky to Bowling Green

Heart 0 Comment 0

After staying put yesterday because of thunderstorms in the morning, we were ready to ride today.  We were headed to Bowling Green to see some tandem friends, Tom and Jane.   If you've read our 2021 journal, you may know the basics of our friendship, but I'm going to tell the story again.  Feel free to skip over it.  I mean, who will know?

We first met Tom and Jane on the Slippery Elm Trail at North Baltimore, OH in September 2020.  They were also riding a RANS recumbent tandem and we had a very good time talking with them.  In April, 2021, we rode to High Springs, FL to join some other tandem friends, the Bad Ass Gasses (BAG's), who were completing the Southern Tier.  With them was Tom, one of the ride leaders for their group.  After a few minutes if conversation, we realized this was the Tom from the Slippery Elm Trail.  We spent a day riding with them to St. Augustine where they completed the Southern Tier.  Then later that summer, when we couldn't cross into Canada from Montana on the Two Far 2021 tour, we ended up in Ohio again and on the Slippery Elm Trail.  We couldn't find any contact information for Tom and Jane, so we were unable to let them know we'd be in their area.  You can probably guess where this is going.  We rode the Slippery Elm Trail again and ran into Tom and Jane!  It was clear we were intended to be friends.  This year, we met on purpose and rode the trail to their home in Bowling Green.  We spent the night at their house and had a very good time together.  Now that we can meet on purpose and not by chance, we all plan to do more cycling together.

Jane, artist and tandem cyclist
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tom, chef and tandem cyclist.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a good ride from Upper Sandusky to North Baltimore.  At our first stop in Carey, OH, we met Gary at the market.  He is also a cyclist and was very interested in our bike and our travels.  Those are subjects we are always happy to discuss with anyone, so we had fun talking with him.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Carey downtown
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting house architecture in Cary
Heart 0 Comment 0
This building was on the outskirts of town. We have no idea what it might be.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Scott AndersonMaybe a former windmill?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Scott AndersonThat's a thought. It is an unusual building. We didn't come up with any guesses.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We spotted this covered bridge and road over to get a closer look.

Heart 1 Comment 0

You can probably read the sign which instructs cyclists to walk bikes across the bridge.  Such instructions never apply to Kerry:)

Heart 0 Comment 0
The wooden surface of the bridge was very smooth and not at all unsuitable for bicycles.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent the rest of the day with Tom and Jane.  We'll be in Michigan tomorrow. 

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 3,296 miles (5,304 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0