Day 103 - Delaware to Upper Sandusky - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2022

Day 103 - Delaware to Upper Sandusky

Heart 0 Comment 0

It was another excellent ride from Delaware to Upper Sandusky today.  We got an early start because of the chance of afternoon thunderstorms and made it here well before any rain came down.

We left last night's motel and rode through downtown Delaware.  This part of Ohio seems to have many very pretty small towns.  A street market was setting up as we pedaled through.

Delaware street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting old buildings
Heart 1 Comment 0
Getting ready for market day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rutherford B. Hays statue. He was born in Delaware - one of seven presidents from Ohio
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we rode through Delaware, we had about 35 miles of wonderful cycling roads through farms and fields.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
I love to imagine the history of these old overgrown houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The roads today really couldn't have been better.
Heart 0 Comment 0
At our first stop in Prospect, Ohio, we met these three cyclists from Dublin, Ohio. They were out for their regular Saturday 60-mile ride. We didn't get their names, but the cyclist in the Saeco jersey was proud to announce that the three of them represented three decades of age. Starting with him, they are 83, 74 and 65.
Heart 2 Comment 2
marilyn swettGood on them! Looking at their faces, I sure can't figure out which one is 83. They all look to be in their 60's.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo marilyn swett I know - I was really surprised when the guy in the red Saeco jersey told me he was 83. He did not look it all.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
North of Prospect, we rode 12 miles on this road, almost car free.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped for a bathroom break at Al's Market in Big Island. The clerk said they had no public restroom (with an explanation I didn't buy, but that's part of cycling!) The woman in the picture is Lauren, who was shopping in the store and lives right next door. She very graciously invited me to use the facilities at her house. That's a first for all our years and miles of touring and was very appreciated. Thank you, Lauren, for being a true road angel!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We took one final stretch break at a town park in Harpster.  This lady drove up with a car full of party supplies, including this terrific train cake.

She made this cake for her great-grandson's 2nd birthday.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The tracks are licorice, the ties are Kit Kats, and the train is hauling 2 miniature cupcakes. I'm sure David will love it!
Heart 1 Comment 2
Rose SamsonMy first time to see a Train Cake! Nicely made and looks Delicious too!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rose SamsonWe thought it was a cute cake. The woman was really looking forward to her grandson's seeing it.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
A few more comfortable miles and we arrived in Upper Sandusky.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Upper Sandusky Mausoleum. It sits between the road and the parking lot of a glass factory. I didn't learn anything else about it online.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Upper Sandusky is one more very nice small town.  The old residential area has tree lined streets with large brick homes.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the center of town is the Wyandot County Courthouse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were lucky to be able to check into our room a little after 1PM.  The rain came later and is expected to last into tomorrow.  We may spend an extra day here after we check the forecast in the morning.  It's great to have that option!

Today's ride: 46 miles (74 km)
Total: 3,238 miles (5,211 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierIs there a Lower Sandusky? If so, they're probably feeling peeved that you didn't visit them, too! :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Rich FrasierI looked online and could not find a Lower Sandusky. There is a Sandusky, OH which is 50 miles north of Upper Sandusky!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago