Day 10 - Brunswick to Townsend - Two Far 2022 Reunion Bound (the long way around) - CycleBlaze

April 19, 2022

Day 10 - Brunswick to Townsend

Heart 0 Comment 0

We awoke to 52 degrees this morning at 7AM.   More sleep was the immediate plan!  By 10:30AM, it had warmed into the low 60's, so we ventured out.  We had a really short route today at 34 miles, so there was nothing to be gained by an early start.

As we were leaving, the housekeeping lady came over and asked up about the bike and our trip.  When she found out that we were going to Canada, she offered us a Canadian $5.00 bill a guest had left her.  We gladly exchanged it for $5.00 US.  Chatting with Vicki got our day off to a good start.

Vicki and Kerry
Heart 5 Comment 2
Kelly IniguezI can't quite make out all of the items on the back of the captain's seat - what does it take to make this stoker happy? :)
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Kelly IniguezWell, I have my Garmin, as I am the chief navigator (and I love watching the miles add up). After last summer's unfortunate incident in Florida, I keep pepper spray at hand. That's the bright pink canister. The purple can holder is for my camera. I have a small bag with pockets for my phone and frequently used items like Chapstick, tissues and hand sanitizer. I also carry a list of the day's available stores and restaurants, so we don't just ride along hoping we'll soon come to a bathroom or food and beverage break. These things make this stoker happy!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We had pleasant, low traffic roads today.  

Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped at a roadside historical marker and read about the Needwood church and school.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Needwood Church
Heart 1 Comment 0
Needwood School
Heart 1 Comment 0

After yesterday, we really appreciated the four bike friendly bridges we crossed today, all on US 17.  They all had wide shoulders and no steep climbs.

Bridge over the Altamaha River
Heart 2 Comment 0
Marina
Heart 1 Comment 0
Altamaha River
Heart 0 Comment 0

Another roadside stop was at the ruins of the Butler Island Plantation.

Image not found :(
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Butler River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Coastal marsh
Heart 0 Comment 0

In Darien, we visited the Fort King George Historic Site.  The buildings have all be reconstructed - no original building remain.

Heart 0 Comment 0

There is a small museum on the site which had an excellent summary of the various people who had inhabited this area in the past.  The description of each group's mission seemed much more honest and realistic than some of the romanticized versions of American history.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonThose texts are really interesting and well done, showing the different perspectives and not moralizing. Thanks for posting them.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Suzanne GibsonYou're welcome, Suzanne. I'm glad you found it interesting. I hesitate to post such "word heavy" images, but I found this good enough to share.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The best part of our visit to Fort King George was meeting Paris...

Heart 2 Comment 0

as well as her caretakers, Mark and Michelle.

The cast on Michelle's arm is due to a bicycle accident.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I haven't said much about our meals so far, but we did have another delicious lunch today.  We are enjoying wonderful Southern vegetables every day - cabbage, greens, peas and beans - and taters, too.  I'd say I could easily be a vegetarian in the South, but since all these dishes are seasoned with fatback, bacon or ham, it would not really be a plant-based diet.  I agree with the judge I saw on a cooking show who said that all his favorite vegetable recipes started with "Fry several strips of bacon...".

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 362 miles (583 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0