Day 51 - Montezuma to Garden City - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

May 29, 2021

Day 51 - Montezuma to Garden City

Heart 1 Comment 0

After spending 3 days in Montezuma, we said goodbye to Jerrell, Dylan and Ken (Kara's dad) and headed out towards Garden City with...

Dustin
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerLooking good Dustin....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Kara
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerGo get emmm Kara....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
and Paul
Heart 2 Comment 1
Keith A. SpanglerPaul, that is a good looking machine....
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

It was a great ride along a well paved rural road with almost no traffic.  There were only a couple of small hills and the wind was at our backs.  Good company, good roads, good weather - what more could we ask?  We could have asked for a little higher temperature, as it was in the low 50's when we started out.  Kerry and I were warm enough, but it took a lot of layers.  It finally warmed up to near 70 by the end of the ride.

Dustin and Paul
Heart 3 Comment 0

All of us rode the first 17 miles to Ingalls, where Kara and Dustin had arranged for Dylan to meet them and drive them back to Montezuma, while Paul rode on to Garden City with us.  

I didn't find much of anything new in the scenery to show you.

There was a huge feedlot outside Ingalls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is a pheasant farm. The birds are raised and released as game birds.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We've seen tons of wind turbine parts on the road. This is a big yard of them near Garden City.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A big grain elevator for corn at Garden City. It smelled sweet, like corn mash.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped at the Finney County Historical Museum in Garden City.  They had a room called "True Crime".  Among the exhibits was one about the brutal murder of the Clutter family on their farm in 1959.

The Clutter family at home. The two older girls were away and unharmed. The two younger children were murdered with their parents.
Heart 1 Comment 0
These two men were captured, tried and convicted of the murders.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Truman Capote visited Garden City after the trial and based his bestseller "In Cold Blood" on the Clutter murders.
Heart 1 Comment 0

One exhibit was dedicated to the life of  Charles Jesse "Buffalo" Jones.  He was an early promoter and builder of Garden City and became well known for his efforts to preserve the great plains buffalo herds, after years as a very successful buffalo hunter.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry's cousin, Zane Gray (2nd cousin, 3 x removed) was introduced to the Southwest by Buffalo Jones and the story of Jones' life is told in Gray's "The Last of the Plainsman".

Another exhibit at the museum was about the huge slaughterhouse in the county.  They call it a "beef factory" and butcher and  process 5500 head of cattle a day.  Now owned by Tyson Foods, it is one of the largest beef producers in the US.

These pictures aren't as nice to look at as the happy cows on the hillsides, but it's how McDonald's is able to serve us so many hamburgers.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

And, now that I know what it is, I see these things everywhere we go!

Heart 2 Comment 0

The last thing we looked at in the museum was a little gross.  It is a find from the slaughterhouse.

Heart 1 Comment 2
Mike ObermeyerThat's the biggest one I've ever seen, but my wife doesn't think it's possible. She was brought up on a farm. I'll have to let her digest the whole thing.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Alain AbbateIt's a lot bigger than anything our cats have ever coughed up. In fact it's a lot bigger than our cats.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Enjoy this image until I post again tomorrow!

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 2,083 miles (3,352 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0