Day 138 - Port Austin to Harbor Beach - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2021

Day 138 - Port Austin to Harbor Beach

Heart 1 Comment 0

Our day started with a visit to the bakery.  Last night's motel was lacking in several ways, including offering breakfast.  Kerry didn't mind much as it was a good excuse to have doughnuts for breakfast.  While we were sitting outside enjoying our food, a couple from Port Huron stopped to talk.  We found out that James and Daniela had moved to Michigan from Coral Gables, FL  It seemed backwards to move from warm to cold, but they said they have been moving north their entire marriage - Brazil to Venezuela to Florida to Michigan.  Daniela, who is Brazilian, said Michigan was as far north as she was going!  

We did more cruising around the Thumb today.  (I have noticed that the locals capitalize "Thumb".)  It was a good ride from Port Austin to Harbor Beach.  We are getting spoiled by the wonderful very low traffic roads.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Just east of Port Austin is the area known as Pointe Aux Barques.  There is a lighthouse there open to the public.  When we arrived we found out that it was closed today due to lack of volunteers to staff it.  This volunteer was there to monitor some work being done in one of the buildings.  He was nice enough to spend some time with us, but couldn't take us up in the lighthouse.

He and Kerry spent a long time talking bicycles.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Pointe Aux Barques lighthouse. It is still used as a navigational aid on Lake Huron today.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerLove the lighthouse. This may be the first one you've posted.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Information signs make a comeback to the blog!
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of Lake Huron from the lighthouse grounds
Heart 2 Comment 0

Past Pointe aux Barques, we turned south, riding down the east side of the Thumb.  We were done with tourist towns for awhile.

What makes a farm scene so peaceful? I know it is a life of hard work and high risk, but these views are so serene.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This well preserved cabin was situated between two modern homes. There was no signage identifying it as a museum or historic structure. Perhaps it's a lovingly cared for old family home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
In the same area, an old church
Heart 1 Comment 0
This got a bit fuzzy when I cropped it closely enough to see it well. Even in its disrepair, it looks like it was once an imposing home.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The only convenience store on today's route was in Port Hope.  We were glad to see a table and chairs to "set a spell".  Sadly, there was no Diet Coke, only Diet Pepsi, so that had to do.  I know many people who tell me they can't really tell the difference, but we can and we usually drink something other than diet cola when Pepsi is our only option.  Sometimes, though, we really need that cola fix!

At Port Hope, we went down to the lakefront and found this landmark. It's the Port Hope Chimney
Heart 2 Comment 0
Port Hope Chimney information
Heart 1 Comment 0

There was another lighthouse at Harbor Beach which was open to the public.  We rode out and found out that the lighthouse was across the harbor and could only be visited by boat.  We decided not to check out whether any tours were available and rode on to our motel.

Most of the trip from the marina to the motel was on this nice bike path.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We're staying at another small, old motel tonight.  It's OK - a bit cleaner than last night's, but still with no desk or chair and no closet or place to unpack.  We're ready for a clean, modern, spacious hotel room.  

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 5,198 miles (8,365 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Keith A. SpanglerYou deserve a spacious hotel room with a Diet Coke with ice!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Robert FlynnCaught up on your journal and am sorry I did not do it sooner as you passed within 4 miles of my house when you went through Corunna . You missed a neat historic village just a couple of blocks from the courthouse . You are in a nice area of the state all the way down the coastline toward Detroit . Safe travels .
Reply to this comment
2 years ago