Day 137 - Sebewaing to Port Austin - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 23, 2021

Day 137 - Sebewaing to Port Austin

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today was an excellent day.  We felt as if we were really bike touring, not just riding from place to place.  There were things to see and people to meet.  

This is Bella. She runs the Airport Motel in Sebewaing along with her human companion, Diane. She sheds joy and energy with every step!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Leaving Sebewaing, we went by the big sugar beet processing plant.

Heart 1 Comment 0
The plant
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unloading beets
Heart 1 Comment 0
Conveyor for moving beets
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode the back roads for the first several miles.  We crossed the same rail line five times.

Heart 1 Comment 0

The only barn photo today - nothing visible but the roof.

The roof seems surprisingly intact.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Mike ObermeyerThank God for vines, good support
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

We finally got close to Saginaw Bay.  This is the first time we got a view this morning.  We stayed in sight of the bay much of the rest of the route.

Saginaw Bay
Heart 1 Comment 0

In Bay Port, we visited the locally famous Bay Port Fish Co.  It is a fish market has been in business here since the 1840's.

The Bay Port Fish Co.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Fish arrives here fresh!
Heart 1 Comment 0
View of the bay from the fish house
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is an authentic fish house - Kerry is trying to decide what to buy. We can't take anything with us, so we need a snack we can enjoy here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is Ann, whose family has worked here for 48 years and Lakon, whose family has owned the business for 45 years.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry chose the smoked herring. It was delicious!
Heart 2 Comment 0

After Bay Port, we rode through Caseville.  Caseville is a tourist town with lots of shops and bars.  They just finished with their annual 10 day Cheeseburger Festival.  We heard it draws a very large crowd which tends to be rowdy and drunken.  We're not sorry we missed it!  Someone told us that the town had tried for years to get Jimmy Buffet to attend, but has been unsuccessful.

Caseville
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Caseville Inn
Heart 2 Comment 0
Small park on Saginaw Bay
Heart 1 Comment 1
Rose SamsonA nice place to rest and relax and breathe fresh air!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Homes line the road between Caseville and Port Austin.  They range from modest to opulent.

The owners of this one seem to want to pretend that they aren't really in Michigan!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We took a loop through the Sleeper State Park.  It was busy with people enjoying a perfect beach day.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made one last stop before reaching our motel.  At the Port Crescent Market, we had a good time talking with the manager, Scott, and the clerk, Lachen.

Lachen and Scott. Thanks for the hospitality.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We had lunch in Port Austin at a tavern called The Landing.  We had such a good time, we decided to go back there for dinner.  At dinner, a group of guys came in after their Monday golf league and livened the place up.  One of them seemed just amazed at how far we had ridden this summer and wanted to be sure that everyone within earshot heard about it.  Unfortunately, I didn't get his name or picture, but you know who you are if you're reading this and meeting you was a lot of fun.

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 5,167 miles (8,315 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0