Day 136 - Bay City to Sebewaing - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2021

Day 136 - Bay City to Sebewaing

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today we rode from Bay City to Sebewaing.  It wasn't as scenic as we expected.  We weren't close to Lake Huron, so no lake views today.  The route was very rural and sparsely populated.  We only went through one town on the way.

Old truck set up as 5th wheel hauler.
Heart 2 Comment 0
How would you like to buy tires for this rig??
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the way north, we saw a number of oil wells.  It's been awhile since we've seen any.

An unexpected sight for us in Michigan. A quick Google search informed us that MI is the largest oil producer in the midwest, and 16th in the nation - the things we learn while touring!
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was one stretch today where we could have easily believed we were back in TX or OK (except for the trees that is)
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oil storage tanks next to one of the wells.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back in farm land, we see that the beans are drying and getting nearer to harvest.  The yellow leaves are very colorful.

Heart 2 Comment 0

This area is known for sugar beets.  We saw many large sugar beet fields today.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Kerry routed us along the most rural roads he could find which were paved.  For several miles, we road along a large ditch covered with algae.

There is water under the green, but we wouldn't want to swim in it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
However, we're pretty sure it is gator free!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
I wished I had something to throw in it to see how thick the algae was.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably duckweed. Only one layer thick. Interesting stuff, but kind of a pain to fish in it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemnoideae
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Bill ShaneyfeltDuckweed! Thanks, Bill, for teaching me something new once again. I looked more closely at more of this stuff which we saw yesterday and I could tell it was tiny leaves when I knew what I was looking at.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
In this open space, there were many birds on the water. They are far away, but I think that they are white herons.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Coming into Sebewaing, I got the only barn photo today.

Heart 1 Comment 0

This is main street in Sebewaing.

Heart 1 Comment 0

And this is the town's bell tower.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We are staying in a little motel at the small airport here.  It's OK and the only game in town, so we were happy to get it.  The owner offered her big garage for the bike.  It was nice not to have to try to maneuver it into the room.  We're headed into the tourist area of the thumb tomorrow.

Today's ride: 37 miles (60 km)
Total: 5,126 miles (8,249 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0