Day 127 - North Judson to Plymouth - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2021

Day 127 - North Judson to Plymouth

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a short ride today - only 35 miles.  The rain had cleared out by the time we were ready to go.  We were on the road for about four hours, including stops.  I really like short days!

First thing this morning, leaving North Judson, we met these three cycle tourers.  They are from Maryland and are traveling from Louisville to Chicago.  Drew said they heard about us at the motel last night when they checked in.  He also gave us some good information.  The trail we were thinking about taking for the first nine miles was blocked by a large tree that fell in the big storm Wednesday night.

Drew, his son Max, and Jim. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We rode the trail for only the first mile, then hopped over to a local road.

A very fuzzy picture of the North Judson Rail Trail
Heart 1 Comment 0

The trail has one of the solar system distance models, where each planet's name is placed at a distance from the others relative to it's location in the solar system.

I missed Mercury, but saw Venus, Earth and Mars within the first mile. The other planets were past the place we left the trail.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We got off the trail and rode to Bass Lake.  We followed the east shore of the lake on our way north.

We figured that this tree was downed in the recent storm. At several other locations, we heard chainsaws in action, but the roads were all clear.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Some views of Bass Lake

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rose SamsonIf you want Fresh Air, this is the place.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Most of the homes around the lake were smaller cottages

Heart 1 Comment 0

but this one was so large we thought it was a hotel, not a private home, when we first saw it.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We stopped for a break at the Bass Lake Pub and met Matt.  We had a great conversation with him and then he paid for our drinks.

Matt from Fort Wayne. Thanks for the drinks!!
Heart 1 Comment 0

After we rode past the lake, we spent the rest of the ride going through small farms and woods.

Nice old barn photo op today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kerry here... I figure in the time it took to haul all the junk up to cover the tarp, they could have put new shingles down!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Silo going into hiding!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pretty pink wildflowers
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made a short detour to see the Chief Menominee statue near Plymouth.  It recognizes the Potawatomi chieftain who resisted the forced removal of his people to a reservation in Kansas in 1838.  The removal came to be know as the Trail of Death.

The statue was commissioned and funded by the Indiana legislature in 1909. It was the first Native American monument funded by a federal or state government agency.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 35 miles (56 km)
Total: 4,791 miles (7,710 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0