Day 121 - Kewanee to Henry - Two Far 2021 - Sooo... Far - CycleBlaze

August 7, 2021

Day 121 - Kewanee to Henry

Heart 2 Comment 0

It was really nice to have a short day today.  Our last two 60 mile days were good rides, but still 60 miles is a lot of miles for us.  39 miles of good roads and pleasant scenery made for an excellent riding day.

We left Kewanee around 9:30.  It was clear and sunny and we enjoyed a tailwind most of the ride.

The scenery today was very pretty with well kept farms and lush fields of corn and soybeans.

An Illinois farm view
Heart 2 Comment 0
Corn looks good here
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw three people here who appeared to be checking the ears of corn in the field.
Heart 2 Comment 0


Bill identified this blue flowering plant as chicory for us yesterday.  We saw miles and miles of it planted along the roads today.   We decided it must be an Illinois state highway project because we saw it in more than one county.  It is very pretty along the sides of the road.

Chicory planted along the roadway
Heart 2 Comment 0
These plants were also growing in the same areas. I know it's a poor picture, but can anyone (Bill??) ID?
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltRed clover. Finally one I can ID on sight!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_pratense
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Ken GassTo Bill ShaneyfeltGood call, Bill, blurred photo all!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

The only town we went through today was Bradford.  It is a prosperous looking town and, from the row of large old homes on the main street, must have had a prosperous past.

We found some more wooded roads today.  During our travels in the plains, we missed the trees!

Peaceful wooded road
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is a house behind/under all this vegetation. Trees at work!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Best river name of this tour.  We also rode over the W. Fork  of the Spoon River.

Heart 2 Comment 0

The final miles into Henry were just us and the corn and beans.

A cyclist's perfect road.
Heart 2 Comment 0

It was a good day for barn photos.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

We're spending two nights here in Henry at a motel on the Illinois River.  We'll walk around the town and take some pictures tomorrow.

Today's ride: 39 miles (63 km)
Total: 4,560 miles (7,339 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Ken GassOk, I'm exposing myself as an inattentive journal follower, but it looks as though you have clearly read the COVID tea leaves and hooked your route sharply to the south and east. Heading through IN to OH and calling it "good enuff"? If so, say hi to my hometown of Greencastle, IN. 😎
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Jeanna & Kerry SmithTo Ken GassWe're not through with the tour yet. Since we were unable to enter Canada in early July, we re-routed to go through the Dakotas, into Iowa and then head to Michigan before ending in Ohio. We decided not to take the more northern Wisconsin/UP route to lower MI. Kerry wants to ride the coastline of the "thumb", an area we've never visited, so that is the plan. We'll catch just a bit of northwest Indiana, so we won't go through Greencastle this year. The COVID tea leaves are telling us not to be in any hurry to get back to Florida. I will avoid any political comment, let's just say it's a public health issue there.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago